OVERVIEW – GRAND VALLEY STATE
SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 85, Grand Valley State Lakers 63
RECORDS: Northwood (8-3, 4-2 GLIAC), Grand Valley State (12-2, 5-1 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Riepma Arena – Midland, Mich.
RECAP: Grand Valley State scores the final 15 points of the game to earn a 73-55 win over Northwood Thursday night (January 4).
- The opening quarter was very tight – there were four ties in the frame while neither team led by more than three points.
- GVSU ended up taking a 16-13 lead after one.
- Both teams went 5-13 from the floor in the quarter (38.5 percent). The Lakers earned the lead thanks to making five free throws to zero for the Timberwolves.
- Northwood played better in the second quarter, eventually leading 27-22 with 3:47 remaining.
- GVSU responded with a strong finish to the half. The Lakers made four 3-pointers in less than two minutes to propel them to a 36-31 lead at halftime.
- That late push allowed the Lakers to finish the second quarter at 58.3 percent overall (7-12) and 75.0 percent from 3-point range (6-8).
- Northwood's numbers were also strong in the second: 54.5 percent overall (6-11) and 83.3 percent from the foul line (5-6).
- Grand Valley State led throughout the third quarter and eventually went up by nine at 51-42.
- Northwood finished the third quarter strong, scoring six of the final seven points to cut the advantage down to 52-48 heading to the fourth.
- The Timberwolves held a big advantage in field goal percentage in the third – NU went 7-11 (63.6 percent) while GVSU went 5-15 (33.3 percent). The Lakers made four more free throws in the quarter (6-2).
- The key stretch of the contest was the final 5:47 of regulation, which started with the GVSU lead standing at 58-55.
- The Lakers took control on both ends of the floor at that point – Grand Valley State scored the final 15 points of the game to blow open a close contest.
- Northwood missed their final 12 shots of the game and ended up just 1-15 in the fourth (6.7 percent).
- GVSU ended up with a strong fourth quarter offensively: 60.0 percent from the floor (6-10), 80.0 percent from 3-point range (4-5) and 83.3 percent from the foul line.
- FG PERCENTAGE: Grand Valley State .460 (23-50), Northwood .380 (19-50)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Grand Valley State .458 (11-24), Northwood .300 (6-20)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Grand Valley State .842 (16-19), Northwood .917 (11-12)
- REBOUNDS: Grand Valley State 32 (nine offensive), Northwood 27 (eight offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Grand Valley State 16/16, Northwood 14/16
- POINTS IN THE PAINT: Grand Valley State 22, Northwood 14
- POINTS OFF TURNOVERS: Grand Valley State 15, Northwood 19
- SECOND CHANCE POINTS: Grand Valley State 8, Northwood 2
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Karli Herrington: 14 points, three blocks, three steals
- Lindsay Orwat: 15 points
- Maddy Seeley: 13
- Taylor Craymer: 12 rebounds, four assists, two steals
- Northwood and GVSU are only playing each other once this regular season, which will snap the streak of nine straight seasons for the two teams splitting their two regular season meetings.
- The Timberwolves will travel to Purdue Northwest Saturday (January 6). Game time is set for 2 p.m. Eastern time.