OVERVIEW – DAVENPORT
SCORE: Davenport Panthers 63, Northwood Timberwolves 50
RECORDS: Northwood (9-5, 5-3 GLIAC), Davenport (7-8, 5-3 GLIAC)
LOCATION: DU Student Center – Grand Rapids, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood struggles in the second halfe of a 63-50 loss at Davenport Thursday night (January 11).
- The opening quarter was close and low-scoring – the biggest advantage of the frame was three points.
- The Panthers ended up leading 12-9 after one.
- Northwood shot just 23.1 percent overall (3-13) and 12.5 percent from 3-point range (1-8). Davenport ended the first quarter at 38.5 percent overall (5-13) and 50.0 percent from the floor (2-4).
- Northwood was better in the second quarter, getting their offense going from the 3-point line.
- The Timberwolves opened up a six point lead at one point before settling for a 28-24 edge at the break.
- Northwood finished the second quarter at 36.8 percent overall (7-19) but knocked down 4-10 from 3-point range (40.0 percent). Davenport shot it well in the second, going 5-9 overall (55.6 percent) and 66.7 percent from 3-point range (2-3).
- Northwood got the advantage up to eight points early in the third quarter (39-31), but Davenport responded.
- The Panthers scored the final eight points of the quarter to take a 41-40 lead heading to the fourth.
- Northwood shot just 23.5 percent in the quarter (4-17), while Davenport went 8-12 (66.7 percent).
- The game was tied 45-45 with less than seven minutes remaining before the Panthers took control.
- Over the final 6:33 of the game, Davenport out-scored Northwood 18-5 to earn the win.
- The Timberwolves continued to struggle from the floor in the fourth, going 3-11 overall (27.3 percent). Northwood also committed seven turnovers in the final 10 minutes.
- Davenport was strong in the fourth quarter offensively, going 6-11 overall (54.5 percent) and 9-12 from the foul line (75.0 percent).
- FG PERCENTAGE: Davenport .533 (24-45), Northwood .283 (17-60)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Davenport .545 (6-11), Northwood .310 (9-29)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Davenport .643 (9-14), Northwood .636 (7-11)
- REBOUNDS: Davenport 32 (four offensive), Northwood 38 (17 offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Davenport 15/17, Northwood 13/16
- POINTS IN THE PAINT: Davenport 30, Northwood 10
- POINTS OFF TURNOVERS: Davenport 19, Northwood 19
- SECOND CHANCE POINTS: Davenport 4, Northwood 12
- BENCH POINTS: Davenport 16, Northwood 19
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Hunter Viitala: 12 points (career-high), 4-5 from 3-point range
- Taylor Craymer: 10 points
- Karli Herrington: Seven points, 13 rebounds
- The Timberwolves will host Wayne State Saturday afternoon (January 13). Game time is set for 4 p.m.