OVERVIEW – SAGINAW VALLEY
SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 80, Saginaw Valley State Cardinals 74 (OT)
RECORDS: Northwood (11-7, 7-5 GLIAC), Saginaw Valley (5-14, 5-7 GLIAC)
LOCATION: O'Neil Arena – University Center, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood earns hard-fought 80-74 overtime road win at Saginaw Valley Saturday afternoon (January 27).
- Northwood led the majority of the opening quarter and was up 18-15 with 3:30 remaining in the frame.
- SVSU then went on a push, scoring the final nine points to lead 24-18 after a high-scoring quarter.
- Northwood shot 44.4 percent from the quarter (8-18), while Saginaw Valley finished at 60.0 percent (9-15).
- The Cardinals made five free throws to zero for the Timberwolves in the first.
- Saginaw Valley maintained the lead the entire second quarter, going up by as many as nine.
- Northwood was the team that made a push late in the quarter this time – NU trailed by eight 36-28 with 2:23 remaining when the Timberwolves registered the final five points, sending the game to the break with the score 36-33.
- The two teams reversed their shooting performances from the inside and outside in the second quarter. NU was 7-16 overall (43.8 percent) – 6-9 from 2-point range and 1-7 from 3-point range. SVSU was 4-16 overall (25.0 percent) – 2-14 from 2-point range and 2-2 from 3-point range.
- The third quarter saw both teams hold multiple leads throughout.
- After both teams were ready to go on big runs, the SVSU lead ended up staying at three points after the third at 56-53.
- Northwood was 7-17 overall from the floor (41.2 percent) but got hot from 3-point range, going 4-6 (66.7 percent).
- Saginaw Valley was 7-14 overall (50.0 percent) and 1-2 from 3-point range.
- SVSU went 5-5 from the foul line compared to Northwood at 2-4.
- SVSU led for the majority of the fourth quarter and were up by five (68-63) with under 90 seconds remaining.
- Northwood made big plays in the final moments, getting a layup from Karli Herrington and a 3-point play by Lindsay Orwat to level the score at 68-68.
- Both teams had chances to take the lead in the final seconds but were unable to convert.
- Northwood was 4-13 from the floor in the fourth (30.8 percent), while SVSU was 5-12 (41.7 percent).
- NU out-scored the Cardinals 6-1 from the foul line in the fourth quarter.
- Saginaw Valley connected on a 3-pointer on their first possession of overtime, but that would prove to be their final field goal of the game.
- With the score tied 74-74, Lindsay Orwat got a pass from Maddy Seeley and connected on a 3-pointer to give the Timberwolves the lead for good with 46 seconds remaining.
- The Timberwolves got a pair of blocked shots in the final moments to close out the win.
- FG PERCENTAGE: Saginaw Valley .406 (426-64), Northwood .414 (29-70)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Saginaw Valley .462 (6-13), Northwood .310 (9-29)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Saginaw Valley .889 (16-18), Northwood .650 (13-20)
- REBOUNDS: Saginaw Valley 33 (five offensive), Northwood 46 (12 offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Saginaw Valley 17/15, Northwood 20/16
- POINTS IN THE PAINT: Saginaw Valley 38, Northwood 34
- POINTS OFF TURNOVERS: Saginaw Valley 22, Northwood 14
- SECOND CHANCE POINTS: Saginaw Valley 2, Northwood 12
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Maddy Seeley: 21 points, career-high nine assists
- Lindsay Orwat: 21 points (19 in second half/overtime)
- Grace German: 11 points, 11 rebounds
- Karli Herrington: 10 points, nine rebounds
- After SVSU had a four-game winning streak against Northwood, the Timberwolves have won the last three games between the two teams.
- Northwood swept the season series against SVSU with the win. It marks the sixth time in Jeff Curtis' 14-years as head coach the Timberwolves have won both regular season games against the Cardinals.
- The Timberwolves will travel to Ferris State Thursday night (February 1). Game time is set for 7:30 p.m.