OVERVIEW – WAYNE STATE
SCORE: #16 Wayne State Warriors 76, Northwood Timberwolves 66
RECORDS: Northwood (15-9, 11-7 GLIAC), Wayne State (18-6, 13-5 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Matthaei Center – Detroit, Mich.
RECAP: Wayne State's high-scoring opening half proves to be the difference in a 76-66 win over Northwood Saturday (February 17).
- Northwood led 8-4 early, but it was the Wayne State offense that was the story of the opening quarter.
- The Warriors led by as many as nine before taking a 26-18 lead after the first.
- Wayne State was red-hot to start the game, shooting 68.8 percent (11-16).
- Northwood ended the quarter at 40.0 percent (6-15).
- Northwood cut the advantage down to six early in the second quarter, only to see the Warriors maintain control throughout the frame.
- Wayne State eventually led 47-33 at halftime.
- While Northwood had a solid shooting performance at 46.2 percent (6-13), WSU stayed hot by shooting 57.1 percent (8-14).
- Wayne State got their lead to 17 early in the third quarter when the Timberwolves began to chip away at the advantage.
- NU eventually got the lead down to seven before the Warriors ended up with a 61-51 lead heading the fourth.
- Northwood played primarily a zone defense in the third quarter and it payed off, as NU held Wayne State to just 25.0 percent from the floor (4-16).
- NU ended up shooting 38.5 percent (5-13) in the quarter.
- Northwood got the lead down to four (67-63) and had possession of the ball with under four minutes remaining, but that is as close as they would get.
- Wayne State made all eight of their free throws in the fourth, including going 6-6 from the line in the final 2:31.
- Northwood ended fourth quarter at 38.5 percent from the floor (5-13). WSU's free throws were important because the Warriors struggled from the floor in the quarter, going 3-14 (21.4 percent).
- FG PERCENTAGE: Wayne State .433 (26-60), Northwood .407 (22-54)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Wayne State .320 (8-25), Northwood .259 (7-27)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Wayne State .842 (16-19), Northwood .938 (15-16)
- REBOUNDS: Wayne State 36 (13 offensive), Northwood 32 (nine offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Wayne State 13/10, Northwood 12/14
- POINTS IN THE PAINT: Wayne State 28, Northwood 24
- POINTS OFF TURNOVERS: Wayne State 16, Northwood 11
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Karli Herrington: 18 points, six rebounds
- Lindsay Orwat: 15 points, four rebounds
- Grace German: 12 points, six rebounds
- With the results of today's games, Northwood is locked into the No. 5 seed for the upcoming GLIAC Tournament. NU, which has two games remaining, is two games behind fourth-place Wayne State and two games ahead of Northern Michigan. Northwood cannot win a tiebreaker with WSU and cannot lose one with NMU.
- The Timberwolves will travel to Tiffin Thursday night (February 22). Game time is set for 7:30 p.m