OVERVIEW – MALONE
SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 79, Malone Pioneers 61
RECORDS: Northwood (4-7), Malone (4-8)
LOCATION: Riepma Arena – Midland, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood wraps up 2018 with a 79-61 non-conference win over Malone Wednesday afternoon (December 19).
- Malone scored the first five points of the game before Northwood went on a run.
- The Timberwolves scored 16 of the next 20 points before eventually leading 18-13 after one.
- Northwood ended up shooting 7-16 from the floor (43.8 percent), while Malone finished at 33.3 percent (5-15).
- After the lead was cut to three early in the second before Northwood made another late push.
- The Timberwolves led by as many as 13 (36-23) on their way to a 37-29 advantage at the break.
- Both teams shot well in the second quarter: Northwood shot 53.8 percent (7-13) compared to Malone at 60.0 percent (6-10).
- Northwood held the advantage thanks to seven Pioneer turnovers.
- Northwood got the lead to 10 points three times in the third quarter.
- Malone was the team finishing a quarter with a push, getting the Northwood advantage down to five at 55-50 heading to the fourth quarter.
- The two offenses continued to perform well in the third: Northwood was 8-16 from the floor (50.0 percent) while Malone went 7-12 (58.3 percent).
- The Timberwolves put together their best quarter of the game in the fourth to close out the win.
- Northwood out-scored Malone 24-11 in the quarter, thanks to shooting 9-16 from the floor (56.3 percent).
- Malone was 4-11 in the final frame (36.3 percent).
- FG PERCENTAGE: Malone .458 (22-48), Northwood .508 (31-61)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Malone .381 (8-21), Northwood .300 (6-20)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Malone .900 (9-10), Northwood .647 (11-17)
- REBOUNDS: Malone 27 (six offensive), Northwood 32 (12 offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Malone 13/19, Northwood 11/7
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Zakiya Wells: 17 points (ties career-high), 7-9 from the floor, 3-4 from 3-point range
- Grace German: 17 points, 11 rebounds – fifth career double-double
- Hunter Viitala: 14 points (career-high), six rebounds, three assists, two steals
- Mackenzie DeCook: 11 points (career-high)
- The Timberwolves travel to Eastern Michigan December 30. Game time is set for 2 p.m.