OVERVIEW – #9 GRAND VALLEY STATE
SCORE: #9 Grand Valley State Lakers 67, Northwood Timberwolves 51
RECORDS: Northwood (7-8, 4-3 GLIAC), Grand Valley State (14-1, 7-0 GLIAC)
LOCATION: GVSU Fieldhouse Arena – Allendale, Mich.
RECAP: Ninth-ranked Grand Valley State rides big opening quarter to a 67-51 win over Northwood Saturday night (January 19).
- Grand Valley State's effort on both ends of the floor allowed the Lakers to take the early lead.
- GVSU scored the final 12 points of the quarter to take a 23-7 lead after one.
- The shooting numbers told the story of the quarter – the Lakers were 10-17 from the floor (58.8 percent) and 3-5 from 3-point range.
- Northwood ended up shooting 3-12 from the floor in the quarter (25.0 percent).
- Northwood upped their play in the second quarter, out-scoring the Lakers for the majority of the frame.
- The Lakers scored the final four points of the second to make the score 35-19 at the break
- Both teams went 5-11 from the floor in the second quarter (45.5 percent).
- Northwood made a push in the third quarter, cutting the led down to nine at 44-35.
- The Lakers ended up with a 53-39 lead heading to the fourth quarter
- For the second straight quarter, both teams finished with the same shooting numbers – NU and GVSU each went 7-16 from the floor in the third and made two 3-pointers.
- Northwood made four free throws in the quarter, compared to zero for the Lakers.
- The Lakers made one final push to put the game out of reach early in the fourth quarter, pushing the lead to as many as 22.
- NU got no closer than 14 in the final quarter.
- Northwood shot 38.5 percent in the fourth quarter (5-13), compared to the Lakers at 50.0 percent (6-12)
- FG PERCENTAGE: Grand Valley State .500 (28-56), Northwood .385 (20-52)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Grand Valley State .450 (9-20), Northwood .429 (6-14)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Grand Valley State 1.000 (5-5), Northwood 1.000 (5-5)
- REBOUNDS: Grand Valley State 33 (Eight offensive), Northwood 27 (Seven offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Grand Valley State 21/19, Northwood 7/20
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- The Timberwolves will travel to Wayne State Thursday (January 17). Game time is set for 5:30 p.m.