OVERVIEW – SAGINAW VALLEY
SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 65, Saginaw Valley State Cardinals 50
RECORDS: Northwood (8-11, 5-6 GLIAC), Saginaw Valley (3-15, 3-8 GLIAC)
LOCATION: O'Neil Arena – University Center, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood rides big opening quarter and never trails in 65-50 road win over rival Saginaw Valley Saturday (January 26).
- Northwood came out fast to set the tone for the game, leading 13-6 at the first media timeout.
- The Timberwolves continued to play well for the remainder of the quarter, eventually taking a 23-8 lead after one.
- Northwood controlled the play on both ends, going 9-17 overall (52.9 percent) from the floor while holding SVSU to 25.0 percent (3-12).
- The Timberwolves extended their lead to as many as 23 in the second quarter.
- SVSU chipped away at the lead for the rest of the half, as Northwood's lead was 35-18 at the break.
- Northwood finished the second quarter at 41.7 percent (5-12) while making a pair of 3-poitners
- SVSU went 4-13 in the second (30.8 percent) with one 3-pointer.
- SVSU hung around in the second half, but got no closer than 15 points in the third quarter.
- Northwood's lead stood at 47-32 heading to the fourth quarter.
- The offenses finished with similar numbers in the third – SVSU was 5-12 (41.7 percent) while Northwood finished at 36.4 percent (4-11)
- Northwood made four free throws in the quarter, compared to zero for the Warriors.
- Saginaw Valley got the lead down to 12 in the final minutes of the game, but that is as close as the got over the final three quarters.
- In all, Northwood led for the final 39:16 of the game while not allowing SVSU to lead at any point.
- Northwood went 6-10 from the floor in the fourth (60.0 percent), including 4-5 from 3-point range (80.0 percent).
- SVSU had its best offensive quarter of the game in the final frame, going 8-15 (53.3 percent).
- FG PERCENTAGE: Saginaw Valley .385 (20-52), Northwood .480 (24-50)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Saginaw Valley .188 (3-16), Northwood .476 (10-21)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Saginaw Valley .583 (7-12), Northwood .779 (7-9)
- REBOUNDS: Saginaw Valley 33 (Nine offensive), Northwood 27 (three offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Saginaw Valley 10/14, Northwood 14/12
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Kenzie Seeley: 19 points (career-high), six assists, one turnover
- Adrianna Stolicker/Ellie Taylor: 11 points
- Hunter Viitala: 10 points
- The Timberwolves will host Lake Superior State Thursday night (January 31). Game time is set for 6 p.m.