OVERVIEW – LAKE SUPERIOR STATE
SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 71, Lake Superior State Lakers 41
RECORDS: Northwood (9-11, 6-6 GLIAC), Lake Superior State Lakers (6-13, 1-11 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Riepma Arena – Midland, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood evens GLIAC record with 71-41 victory over Lake Superior State Thursday night (January 31).
- Northwood grabbed the momentum early on, beginning the game on an 11-4 run.
- The Timberwolves continued to defend well and led 17-8 at the end of the opening quarter..
- NU made 53.8 percent of their attempts from the floor (7-13), including 33.3 percent of their three-point tries (1-3).
- LSSU sunk 42.9 percent of their overall shots (3-7), making an identical 33.3 percent of their shots count from behind the arc (1-3).
- NU took control of the game early in the second, sinking nine straight points to build their lead to 18.
- Lake Superior State chipped away at the deficit over the final minutes of the half, but the Timberwolves were able to keep their lead above double digits and took a 31-20 lead into the break.
- Northwood made 36.4 percent of their attempts (4-11) and converted on 33.3 percent of their shots from behind the arc (2-6).
- Lake Superior State shot 45.5 percent from the field (5-11), making 28.6 percent of their attempts from three-point range (2-7).
- The Lakers continued their run to start the second half, eventually finishing a 16-3 run to cut the Northwood lead to 31-26.
- The Timberwolves were able to rebound and regain their footing, out-scoring LSSU 19-5 the rest of the quarter to lead 50-31 heading to the fourth.
- Northwood made 46.2 percent of their attempts (6-13) and converted on 40 percent of their shots from behind the arc (2-5).
- Lake Superior State shot 30 percent from the field (3-10) while going 2-4 from three-point range.
- Northwood extended their lead to as high as 31 in the final quarter, spending most of the period up by over 20 as they cruised to a victory.
- After the LSSU 16-3 run, the Timberwolves out-scored the Lakers 40-15 the remainder of the game.
- NU made 57.1 percent of their attempts (8-14) and converted on 66.7 percent of their shots from behind the arc (4-6).
- The Lakers shot 40 percent from the field (4-10) in the fourth.
- FG PERCENTAGE: Lake Superior State .395 (15-38), Northwood .490 (25-51)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Lake Superior State .353 (6-17), Northwood .450 (9-20)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Lake Superior State .625 (5-8), Northwood .800 (12-15)
- REBOUNDS: Lake Superior State 22 (4 offensive), Northwood 32 (10 offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Lake Superior State 12/20, Northwood 18/11
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Ellie Taylor: 20 points, seven rebounds, four assists, six steals
- Hunter Viitala: 13 points, six rebounds
- Adrianna Stolicker: 11 points
- The Timberwolves won their 13th consecutive game against LSSU, a streak that dates back to January 12, 2013.
- Ellie Taylor posted her fifth 20-point game this season (High: 30, Jan. 10 v. Davenport).
- The Timberwolves will host Ferris State Saturday for a matchup against the Bulldogs (February 2). Tip-off is set for 4 p.m.