OVERVIEW – SAGINAW VALLEY
SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 73, Saginaw Valley State Cardinals 42
RECORDS: Northwood (13-15, 10-10 GLIAC), Saginaw Valley (6-21, 6-14 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Riepma Arena – Midland, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood earns dominating senior day win over Saginaw Valley 73-42 Thursday night (February 28).
- Both defenses came to play early in the first, as the two teams were deadlocked at four points apiece mid-way through the stanza.
- Northwood soon made their first move with six consecutive points to take a 10-4 lead.
- Saginaw Valley were able to storm back with authority, however, with eight straight points of their own to take a 12-10 lead after 10 minutes of play.
- NU struggled from the floor, shooting 21.4 percent overall (3-14) while missing all eight of their 3-point attempts.
- SVSU shot 50 percent from the field (5-10), making 50 percent of their shots from behind the arc.
- The Timberwolves bounced back in the early stages of the second and rattled off a 12-5 run to turn a two-point deficit into a 22-17 lead at the halfway mark.
- NU were able to maintain their edge and built up their lead to 30-22 at the break.
- The Timberwolves improved and shot 56.3 percent from the floor (9-16), despite missing all five of their 3-point attempts.
- The Cardinals sunk 33.3 percent of their shots from the field (3-9). They dropped 50 percent of their attempts from three-point land (2-4).
- Northwood broke the game open in the third quarter, thanks largely to getting their shooting from 3-point range.
- After missing their first 13 attempts from beyond the arc, Northwood went 4-6 from 3-point range in the third on their way to out-scoring SVSU 27-12.
- That allowed Northwood to take a 57-34 lead after three quarters.
- Northwood shot 55.0 percent from the field in the third quarter (11-20).
- Saginaw Valley hit 36.4 percent of their shots (4-11) while making 1-5 from beyond the arc.
- With nine of the first 11 points in the fourth, NU built their lead to 30 and were in cruise control from there.
- Northwood led by as many as 32 in the fourth before winning by 31.
- The Timberwolves shot 46.7 percent to end the game (7-15), sinking 28.6 percent of their attempts from behind the arc (2-7).
- The Cardinals made 25 percent of their shots from the floor (3-12) in the fourth.
- FG PERCENTAGE: Saginaw Valley .357 (15-42), Northwood .462 (30-65)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Saginaw Valley .350 (7-20), Northwood .231 (6-26)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Saginaw Valley .833 (5-6), Northwood .538 (7-13)
- REBOUNDS: Saginaw Valley 22 (1 offensive), Northwood 45 (18 offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Saginaw Valley 9/18, Northwood 15/11
- Northwood has now won five straight in the season series after SVSU had won four straight.
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Grace German: 23 points, 19 rebounds (career-high), three blocks, 10th career double-double, fifth double-double in last seven games)
- Zakiya Wells: 11 points
- Kenzie Seeley: 10 points
- The Timberwolves are the No. 6 seed for the upcoming GLIAC Tournament. NU will travel to third-seeded Michigan Tech Tuesday (March 5) at 5:30 p.m.