OVERVIEW – WAYNE STATE
SCORE: Wayne State Warriors 68, Northwood Timberwolves 59
RECORDS: Northwood (4-14, 2-8 GLIAC), Wayne State (18-0, 10-0 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Matthaei Center – Detroit, Mich.
RECAP: Wayne State takes over in the second half of a 68-59 win over Northwood women's basketball Saturday (January 25).
- The Timberwolves got off to a great start in the game, leading by as many as 11 (19-8) in the first quarter.
- A 3-pointer for the Warriors on the final possession made the Northwood lead 21-14 after one.
- Northwood went 7-16 from the floor in the first (43.8 percent) while going 3-6 from 3-point range (50.0 percent) and 4-5 from the foul line (80.0 percent)
- Wayne State ended at 33.3 percent (5-15) overall.
- The Timberwolves maintained their lead throughout the second quarter, but the Warriors made a late push to close the gap.
- NU led 30-17 with 2:31 remaining when the Warriors scored the final five points of the half to make the score 30-22 at the break.
- NU fell back to 25.0 percent (3-12) in the second while going 2-9 from 3-pooint range (22.2 percent).
- WSU struggled in the second shooting as well, making just 1-12 from the floor (8.3 percent). The Warriors did go 6-8 from the foul line in the quarter (75.0 percent).
- NU's offense struggled in the third, which gave WSU the momentum.
- NU scored just two points in the opening seven minutes of the third, allowing the Warriors to take a 33-32 lead.
- Wayne State ended the quarter with a 42-37 lead the remainder of the game.
- Northwood went just 2-14 from the floor in the quarter (14.3 percent) and went 3-6 from the foul line (50.0 percent).
- Wayne State ended the third at 41.2 percent (7-17) and 85.7 percent from the foul line (6-7).
- The Warriors got their lead to 12 with 3:37 remaining in the game when NU made one final push.
- Northwood scored six straight points to make the score 62-56 with 1:40 remaining, but that is as close as the Timberwolves would get.
- The Timberwolves had a better quarter shooting in the fourth, ending at 8-17 (47.1 percent) overall and 3-6 from beyond the arc (50.0 percent).
- Wayne State was even better in the final quarter, finishing at 64.3 percent (9-14) overall while going 8-12 from the foul line (66.7 percent).
- FG PERCENTAGE: Wayne State .379 (22-58), Northwood .339 (20-59)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Wayne State .111 (1-9), Northwood .320 (8-25)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Wayne State .767 (23-30), Northwood .647 (11-17)
- REBOUNDS: Wayne State 41 (13 offensive), Northwood 38 (13 offensive)
- POINTS IN THE PAINT: Wayne State 40, Northwood 18
- POINTS OFF TURNOVERS: Wayne State 8, Northwood 13
- SECOND CHANCE POINTS: Wayne State 12, Northwood 11
- FAST BREAK POINTS: Wayne State 15, Northwood 9
- BENCH POINTS: Wayne State 28, Northwood 26
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- The Timberwolves will host Michigan Tech Thursday (January 30). Game time is set for 6 p.m.