OVERVIEW – LAKE SUPERIOR STATE
SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 87, Lake Superior State Lakers 59
RECORDS: Northwood (9-4, 9-4 GLIAC), Lake Superior State (1-12, 1-12 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Bud Cooper Gymnasium – Sault Ste. Marie, Mich.
RECAP: Women's Basketball rides efficient offense 87-59 win at Lake Superior State to complete weekend sweep Saturday afternoon (February 13).
- After scoring just two points in the opening three minutes of the game, the Northwood offense got rolling, scoring 18 in the final seven minutes of the quarter.
- The Lakers offense was strong as well, as the opening 10 minutes finished with NU leading 20-19.
- Both teams had strong shooting quarters – Northwood ended the first at 56.3 percent overall (9-16). The Timberwolves were 2-7 from beyond the 3-point arc in the opening quarter (28.6 percent).
- The Lakers were 7-12 from the floor (58.3 percent) overall and 2-5 from 3-point range (40.0 percent). LSSU shot the only free throws of the quarter, going 3-4 from the line (75.0 percent).
- The Timberwolves came out fast in the second quarter, scoring eight of the first nine points to open up a 28-20 lead.
- LSSU did get the lead down to five, but the Timberwolves lead was above seven the remainder of the quarter.
- Northwood led by as many as 12 before ending the half with a 45-34 lead at the break.
- NU's offense was even better in the 25-point second quarter, going 9-15 overall (60.0 percent) and 5-6 from 3-point range (83.3 percent). The Timberwolves made both of their free throw attempts in the second.
- LSSU finished the second quarter at 41.7 percent (5-12). The Lakers did have a good quarter from beyond the arc, going 3-6 from 3-point range.
- Northwood took control of the game early in the third quarter, going on a 15-2 run to start the half to take a 60-36 lead with three minutes remaining.
- The Timberwolves pushed the lead to as many as 27 (66-39) before taking a 66-42 lead to the final quarter.
- NU was 9-19 overall in the quarter (47.4 percent) while missing all four of its 3-point attempts. Northwood went 3-4 from the foul line.
- Lake Superior State fell back to 21.4 percent in the third (3-14). The Lakers were 1-4 from 3-point range (25.0 percent) and 1-3 from the foul line (33.3 percent).
- Northwood maintained control in the final period, not allowing LSSU to get any closer than 22.
- The advantage got to 30 before NU ended with a 28-point victory.
- Northwood continued their hot shooting in the final period, going 9-16 overall (56.3 percent). NU was 2-8 from 3-point range (25.0 percent) and 1-1 from the foul line.
- LSSU ended the fourth at 40.0 percent (6-15) while going 2-9 from 3-point range and 3-8 from the foul line
- FG PERCENTAGE: Lake Superior State .396 (21-53), Northwood .545 (36-66)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Lake Superior State .333 (8-24), Northwood .360 (9-25)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Lake Superior State .474 (9-19), Northwood .857 (6-7)
- REBOUNDS: Lake Superior State 26 (Seven offensive), Northwood 34 (Seven offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Lake Superior State 16/15, Northwood 28/8
- POINTS IN THE PAINT: Lake Superior State 22, Northwood 50
- POINTS OFF TURNOVERS: Lake Superior State 11, Northwood 20
- SECOND CHANCE POINTS: Lake Superior State 7, Northwood 8
- FAST BREAK POINTS: Lake Superior State 7, Northwood 11
- BENCH POINTS: Lake Superior State 26, Northwood 39
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Alli Keyser: 17 points, 7-10 from the floor, 2-3 from 3-point range, four rebounds
- Jayla Strickland: 17 points, six rebounds, 8-9 from the floor
- Makenzie Todd: 11 points
- Maizie Taylor: 15 assists, zero turnovers (second most assists in school history – Melissa Marzolf – 11/30/99). Most in a Division II game in school history
- The Timberwolves will travel to rival Saginaw Valley Tuesday night (February 16). Game time is set for 5 p.m.