OVERVIEW – SAGINAW VALLEY
SCORE: Saginaw Valley Cardinals 76, Northwood Timberwolves 70
RECORDS: Northwood (9-5, 9-5 GLIAC), Saginaw Valley (6-8, 6-8 GLIAC)
LOCATION: O'Neil Arena – University Center, Mich.
RECAP: Saginaw Valley uses strong first half shooting to earn 76-70 win over Northwood women's basketball Tuesday night (February 16).
- SVSU scored the first five points of the game and did not trail the remainder of the opening half.
- Northwood trailed 12-11 before the Cardinals scored seven of the final 10 points to take a 19-14 lead after one.
- NU ended the opening quarter at 38.5 percent overall (5-13) while making 2-6 from 3-point range. The Timberwolves were 2-2 from the foul line.
- The Cardinals were 6-14 from the floor in the quarter (42.9 percent). SVSU was 3-7 from three and 4-4 from the foul line.
- The Timberwolves entered the game averaging less than 10 turnovers per game but gave the ball away seven times in the opening quarter.
- Saginaw Valley used good shooting from 3-point range to extend their lead in the second quarter.
- After Northwood cut the lead to three early in the quarter, the Cardinals proceeded to make five of their first six attempts from beyond the arc in the second quarter.
- That hot shooting pushed the SV lead to 36-24.
- The Cardinal lead eventually stood at 40-30 at the break.
- SVSU was 7-14 from the floor in the second (50.0 percent) and 5-9 from beyond the arc (50.0 percent). The Cardinals also made both of their free throw attempts.
- Northwood went 6-17 from the floor in the second (35.3 percent). NU was 2-4 from 3-point range (50.0 percent) and 2-2 from the foul line.
- Northwood chipped away at the lead throughout the third quarter, getting the lead down to 42-36 with under six minutes remaining.
- NU eventually cut the lead to 52-48 heading to the final quarter.
- NU was 6-14 overall in the quarter (42.9 percent). The Timberwolves went 1-5 from 3-point range (20.0 percent) and 5-6 from the foul line (83.3 percent).
- Saginaw Valley fell back to 33.3 percent in the third (5-15). The Cardinals were 2-8 from beyond the arc (25.0 percent).
- Northwood continued to cut into the SVSU lead early in the fourth and eventually took their first lead of the game at 55-54.
- The Cardinals responded every time the Timberwolves made a push to earn the win.
- Leading 67-66 with less than two minutes remaining, the Cardinals scored seven straight points to go up eight and clinch the win.
- Northwood was 9-15 from the floor in the fourth (60.0 percent) but made just 1-5 from 3-point range (20.0 percent). The Timberwolves did make all three of their free throw attempts.
- SVSU was 6-13 from the floor (46.2 percent) while making 3-6 from 3-point range (50.0 percent) and 9-11 from the foul line (81.8 percent).
- FG PERCENTAGE: Saginaw Valley .429 (24-56), Northwood .441 (26-59)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Saginaw Valley .429 (13-30), Northwood .300 (6-20)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Saginaw Valley .882 (15-17), Northwood .923 (12-13)
- REBOUNDS: Saginaw Valley 30 (Eight offensive), Northwood 28 (Eight offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Saginaw Valley 16/11, Northwood 11/12
- POINTS IN THE PAINT: Saginaw Valley 22, Northwood 50
- POINTS OFF TURNOVERS: Saginaw Valley 20, Northwood 40
- SECOND CHANCE POINTS: Saginaw Valley 10, Northwood 9
- FAST BREAK POINTS: Saginaw Valley 18, Northwood 5
- BENCH POINTS: Saginaw Valley 20, Northwood 31
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Kenzie Seeley: 14 points, 5-8 from the floor, 4-4 from the foul line
- Adele Kemp: 11 points, 4-7 from the floor, 2-3 from 3-point range
- Jayla Strickland: 10 points, nine rebounds
- Makenzie Todd: 10 points
- The Timberwolves will host Ashland for a pair, starting Friday (February 19). Game time is set for 6 p.m.