OVERVIEW – ASHLAND
SCORE: Ashland Eagles 65, Northwood Timberwolves 61
RECORDS: Northwood (10-6, 10-6 GLIAC), Ashland (9-7, 9-7 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Riepma Arena – Midland, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood women's basketball drops 65-61 contest to Ashland Saturday afternoon (February 20).
- After an evenly played opening seven minutes, Northwood scored seven straight points to go up 18-11.
- The Eagles responded with five straight to end the quarter to make the score 18-16 after one.
- Ashland shot 46.2 percent from the floor in the quarter (6-13) while making 2-4 from 3-point range (50.0 percent) and 2-2 from the foul line.
- The Timberwolves finished the first at 38.9 percent (7-18) overall and 2-8 from 3-point range (25.0 percent).
- The Eagles were the better team early in the second, opening up a 35-26 lead with 3:25 remaining.
- NU bounced back with a 10-0 run to go up 36-35.
- AU scored the final basket of the half to put the Eagles up 37-36 at the break.
- Northwood fell back to 35.0 percent in the second quarter (7-20) and 1-4 from 3-point range (25.0 percent). NU went 3-4 from the foul line.
- Ashland was 5-11 overall in the second (53.3 percent) while going 2-4 from beyond the arc (50.0 percent) and 3-5 from the foul line (60.0 percent).
- A key part of the game came late in the third quarter with Northwood leading 50-44.
- The Eagles connected on a 3-pointer with 23 seconds remaining, then had a steal in the final seconds of the quarter. AU connected on a shot from near half court just as the buzzer expired to level the score at 50 heading to the fourth.
- The Timberwolves went 6-14 from the floor in the third (42.9 percent) while missing all three of their attempts from beyond the arc. NU did make both of their free throws.
- AU shot 45.5 percent (5-11) from the floor and 2-6 from 3-point range.
- The Timberwolves led 55-51 with less than seven minutes remaining.
- Ashland was the better team the remainder of the way, out-scoring NU 14-6 to earn the win.
- Northwood was 5-11 from the floor (45.5 percent) and 1-5 from beyond the arc (20.0 percent).
- The Eagles was just 3-10 from the floor in the final period (30.0 percent) but did make 8-10 from the foul line (80.0 percent).
- FG PERCENTAGE: Ashland .449 (22-49), Northwood .397 (25-63)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Ashland .412 (7-17), Northwood .200 (4-20)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Ashland .737 (14-19), Northwood .700 (7-10)
- REBOUNDS: Ashland 37 (Six offensive), Northwood 35 (Ten offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Ashland 14/18, Northwood 9/14
- POINTS IN THE PAINT: Ashland 22, Northwood 36
- POINTS OFF TURNOVERS: Ashland 13, Northwood 21
- SECOND CHANCE POINTS: Ashland 0, Northwood 4
- FAST BREAK POINTS: Ashland 2, Northwood 4
- BENCH POINTS: Ashland 6, Northwood 16
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Brooke Ditto: 14 points, 11 rebounds, three steals
- Kenzie Seeley: 14 points, four assists, three steals
- The Timberwolves will finish the regular season by traveling to Grand Valley State for a pair of games, starting Friday (February 27).