OVERVIEW – ASHLAND (GLIAC TOURNAMENT QUARTERFINALS
SCORE: #6 Ashland Eagles 67, #3 Northwood Timberwolves 58
RECORDS: Northwood (11-8), Ashland (12-7)
LOCATION: Westville, Indiana
RECAP: Third-seeded Northwood women's basketball cannot overcome ice-cold third quarter in 67-58 loss to sixth-seeded Ashland in the GLIAC Tournament Quarterfinals Thursday (March 4).
- Northwood scored eight of the first 10 points of the game to lead 8-2 with 4:15 remaining in the opening quarter.
- NU managed just three points the remainder of the low-scoring quarter, which ended with the score tied 11-11.
- Both team struggled form the floor in the opening quarter – NU was 4-12 overall (33.3 percent) while AU ended at 4-14 (28.6 percent).
- Both offenses picked it up in the second quarter.
- Early in the quarter, Ashland was the better team. They scored 17 of the first 27 points to take their biggest lead of the half at 28-21.
- NU picked up the pace in the final 2:52, finishing the opening half on an 8-2 run to make the score 30-29 at the break.
- Northwood was 6-13 from the floor in the second (46.2 percent) while going 6-8 from the foul line (75.0 percent).
- Ashland shot 53.8 percent in the second (7-13) while going 2-2 from the foul line.
- The 3-point line was key to the Ashland lead in the half – AU made five 3-pointers in the half (5-17) compared to zero for Northwood (0-5).
- The third quarter saw the Northwood struggle mightily on offense, allowing the Eagles to control the quarter.
- Northwood missed their first 10 shots and 20 of their first 21 attempts in the quarter, falling behind by as many as 12.
- The Timberwolves made a push at the end of the quarter, scoring seven of the final nine points to cut the lead to 45-38 after three.
- The Timberwolves went 6-14 from the floor in the third (42.9 percent) while missing all three of their attempts from beyond the arc. NU did make both of their free throws.
- AU shot 45.5 percent (5-11) from the floor and 2-6 from 3-point range.
- Northwood got within three early in the fourth twice but were unable to get any closer the remainder of the game.
- NU got the lead down to three or four a total of four times in the final quarter, only to see Ashland score on the following possession all four times
- Ashland had a strong shooting final quarter, making 8-12 overall (66.7 percent) and 6-8 from the foul line (75.0 percent).
- Northwood also had their best shooting quarter of the game in the fourth, finishing at 52.9 percent (9-17) overall. NU made its only 3-point attempt and was 1-3 from the foul line (33.3 percent).
- FG PERCENTAGE: Ashland .453 (24-53), Northwood .354 (23-65)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Ashland .318 (7-22), Northwood .222 (2-9)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Ashland .750 (12-16), Northwood .588 (10-17)
- REBOUNDS: Ashland 38 (Five offensive), Northwood 38 (13 offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Ashland 10/17, Northwood 5/13
- POINTS IN THE PAINT: Ashland 32, Northwood 42
- POINTS OFF TURNOVERS: Ashland 6, Northwood 16
- SECOND CHANCE POINTS: Ashland 3, Northwood 4
- FAST BREAK POINTS: Ashland 11, Northwood 8
- BENCH POINTS: Ashland 2, Northwood 16
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Kenzie Seeley: 14 points, two steals, 6-9 from the floor
- Alana Nelson: Eight points, 14 rebounds
- Brooke Ditto/Makenzie Todd: Eight points each
- The Timberwolves will await their NCAA Tournament fate. The field will be announced Sunday night (March 7) at 10 p.m. on NCAA.com. NU was ranked fifth in the final regional rankings, with the top six teams making the field.