OVERVIEW – TRUMAN (NCAA TOURNAMENT)
SCORE: #3 Truman Bulldogs 55, #6 Northwood Timberwolves 42
RECORDS: Northwood (11-9), Truman (17-4)
LOCATION: Springfield, Mo. (Drury University)
RECAP: Sixth-seeded Northwood women's basketball struggles to get its offense going in a 55-42 loss to No 3 Truman in the opening round of the NCAA Tournament Friday night (March 12).
- Northwood struggled to get their offense going from the start, setting the tone for the remainder of the game.
- The Timberwolves did not score for the opening 6:15 of the game, during which they fell behind 8-0.
- NU eventually trailed 15-6 at the end of one.
- NU made their final shot of the quarter to finish at 3-15 overall (20.0 percent). The Timberwolves missed all five of their three point attempts.
- Truman ended the quarter at 38.9 percent (7-18) overall while making 1-4 from 3-point range.
- The Timberwolves cut the lead to six early in the second (17-11), but another scoring drought was costly for Northwood.
- NU went more than five minutes without scoring, which allowed Truman to open up a 25-11 lead.
- The Timberwolves cut the lead down to 28-18 at the break.
- Northwood was 5-19 from the floor in the second (26.3 percent) in the quarter. NU did go 2-6 from 3-point range (33.3 percent).
- The Bulldogs had a similar shooting percentage in the second quarter that they did in the first, finishing at 5-13 from the floor (38.5 percent). Truman State was 2-6 from 3-point range (33.3 percent).
- Northwood cut the lead to eight early in the third at 28-20.
- Truman did not allow NU to get any closer the rest of the quarter, which ended with the score 41-28.
- The Timberwolves finished the third at 5-17 from the floor (29.4 percent) while missing all three of their 3-point attempts.
- Truman was 5-16 from the floor in the quarter (31.3 percent) and 1-5 from 3-point range (20.0 percent).
- Northwood scored the first five points of the fourth quarter to get within eight at 41-33.
- That is as close as the Timberwolves would get, however, as the Bulldogs immediately responded with nine straight points to go up 50-33.
- NU got no closer than 13 the remainder of the game.
- Northwood did have its best shooting quarter of the game, going 5-14 overall (35.7 percent). NU was 1-4 from 3-point range (25.0 percent) and 3-5 from the foul line (60.0 percent).
- Truman finished the final quarter at 46.2 percent (6-13) overall. The Bulldogs were 1-2 from both the foul line and the 3-point line (50.0 percent).
- FG PERCENTAGE: Truman .383 (23-60), Northwood .277 (18-65)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Truman .294 (5-17), Northwood .167 (3-18)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Truman .667 (4-6), Northwood .333 (3-9)
- REBOUNDS: Truman 45 (Eight offensive), Northwood 39 (12 offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Truman 13/10, Northwood 6/9
- POINTS IN THE PAINT: Truman 28, Northwood 34
- POINTS OFF TURNOVERS: Truman 5, Northwood 9
- SECOND CHANCE POINTS: Truman 7, Northwood 11
- FAST BREAK POINTS: Truman 4, Northwood 4
- BENCH POINTS: Truman 6, Northwood 10
TOP NU PERFORMERS