SCORE: Saginaw Valley State Cardinals 4, Northwood Timberwolves 0
RECORDS: Saginaw Valley (7-5-1, 3-3-1 GLIAC), Northwood (4-8-1, 2-4-1 GLIAC)
LOCATION: NU Practice Field - Midland, Mich.
RECAP: Timberwolves shut down in final home game of season against Cardinals on Sunday afternoon (October 15).
INSIDE THE GAME
- Despite the weather and field conditions, Saginaw Valley was able to strike first. From the left side, the Cardinals went ahead on a strike that found its way to the top left corner of the net 16 minutes into the contest.
- After spending much of the first half in Northwood's end, SVSU was able to net one more score at the end of the half. On a chip pass from the left side that found its way to the right post, the Cardinals were able to convert on a tap-in inside the box to make it 2-0 in the 43rd minute.
- The deficit could have been larger if not for two big defensive plays by the Timberwolves. In the 19th minute, goaltender Kylie Steingreaber made a hand save on a curling corner kick from the left side. In the 33rd minute, Alyssa Cowper in the midst of a net front scramble was able to clear the ball away from the goal line.
- Saginaw Valley iced the game in the 70th minute despite Northwood's defensive play keeping the game close. On a chip shot from the left side that descended into the far side of the net, the Cardinals were up 3-0 with 19 minutes to play. They would add one more in the 87th minute to increase the spread to four.
- SHOTS: Saginaw Valley 17, Northwood 2
- SAVES: Northwood 5, Saginaw Valley 0
- CORNER KICKS: Saginaw Valley 7, Northwood 4
- FOULS: Northwood 10, Saginaw Valley 5
- Karina Parker with her two shots today moved into second on the Timberwolves with 12 overall in nine starts.
- The Timberwolves will travel to Tiffin for a game against the Dragons on Friday (October 20). Game time is set for 12:00 p.m.