SCORE: Detroit Mercy Titans 2, Northwood Timberwolves 0
RECORDS: Detroit Mercy (4-7-3), Northwood (2-9-1)
LOCATION: Dean Field - Midland, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood drops non-conference contest to Division I Detroit Mercy 2-0 Tuesday afternoon (October 9).
INSIDE THE GAME
- Detroit Mercy struck first early in the opening half. In the 11th minute, on a pass to the right side of the area, the Titans forward was able to fire a strike to the bottom left corner of the net to give the visitors a 1-0 lead.
- The Timberwolves nearly tied the game in the waning minutes of the first. On a free kick from midfield in the 42nd minute, Savannah Wallace placed a set-up in the area for Ashton Brooks in the middle of the area. She timed her leap and put the ball just over the bar. The score remained 1-0 at the break.
- The Titans doubled their lead in the 56th minute. On a Northwood turnover near midfield, the UDM striker stepped up and marched into an open area. Stepping to her left, she buried a strike to the bottom left corner of the net to make it 2-0 in favor of the visitors.
- NU just missed cutting into the deficit in the 60th minute. Jessica Piper lined up her free kick from the right sideline and booted it into the middle of the area. Jillian Hon timed her leap to get her head on it, but UDM keeper Marina Manzo tipped it over the bar was able to make an impressive leaping save to keep the spread at two goals for the rest of regulation.
- SHOTS: Detroit Mercy 9, Northwood 12
- SAVES: Detroit Mercy 4, Northwood 5
- CORNER KICKS: Detroit Mercy 6, Northwood 1
- FOULS: Detroit Mercy 10, Northwood 10
- The Timberwolves will travel to Ferris State Sunday for a matchup against the Bulldogs (Oct. 14). Game time is set for 12 pm.