OVERVIEW – NORTHERN MICHIGAN
SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 2, Northern Michigan Wildcats 1
RECORDS: Northern Michigan 1-3, Northwood 3-1
LOCATION: NMU Soccer Field – Marquette, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood moves to 3-1 with a 2-1 road win over Northern Michigan in a non-conference contest Sunday afternoon (September 15).
- Northern Michigan took the lead at the 39:00 mark to go up 1-0.
- It appeared the game would go to the break with the Wildcats with the lead, but NU came up big in the final seconds. After Katelyn Wilkowski won the ball and midfield and made a run, she sent the ball down the right side to freshman Juliana Paoletti, who fired a shot from just outside the area that caught the bottom of the crossbar and in the net. The goal at the 44;52 mark sent the game to the break tied 1-1.
- Both teams had chances in the second half, but the score remained 1-1 until the 87th minute. After Northwood won a corner, the ball was cleared by NMU back out wide. The Timberwolves sent it back towards the net. The Wildcat keeper could not handle the ball, which was headed home by Karina Parker to give Northwood the lead for the first time at the 86:33 mark.
- Northern Michigan immediately afterward played a dangerous ball into the area but it were unable to score. That was Northern Michigan's last chance in the game, as the Timberwolves closed out the victory.
- Shots: Northwood 12, Northern Michigan 10
- Shots on Goal: Northwood 9, Northern Michigan 4
- Saves: Northwood 3 (Bridget Adams), Northern Michigan 5 (Brianna Frontuto)
- Corner Kicks: Northwood 9, Northern Michigan 5
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Parker: Game-winning goal (2)
- Paoletti: Goal (3)
- Wilkowski: Assist
- Northwood has already exceeded their win total from a year ago (2-13-1 in 2018).
- Both of Parker's goals this season are game-winners. She had one game-winning goal in her first three years at Northwood.
- Paoletti's three goals in four game is more than any NU player had in the 2018 season. Four different players shared the team-lead in goals a year ago with two.
- The Timberwolves will travel to Concordia Sunday (September 22). Game time is set for 1 p.m.