OVERVIEW – LEWIS
SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 5, Lewis Flyers 3
RECORDS: Northwood (21-2), Lewis (16-8)
LOCATION: Midland, Mich. – Greater Midland Tennis Center
RECAP: Northwood advanced to the second round of the NCAA Division II Women's Tennis Tournament with a 5-4 win over Lewis Monday (May 1).
INSIDE THE MATCH
- Northwood, the No. 2 seed in the Midwest Region, fell behind early to the seventh-seeded Flyers, as Lewis took the opening match of the day 8-2 at No. 1 doubles.
- The Timberwolves responded the rest of the way in doubles – Northwood won the No. 2 and No. 3 contests by matching scores of 8-4 to lead heading into singles.
- Lewis got the first point of singles on a win at the No. 1 slot to level the score at 2-2.
- The bottom of the Timberwolves lineup came up big at that point, taking the No. 5 and No. 6 matches in straight-sets to put Northwood one point away from victory at 4-2.
- After Lewis won at the No. 2 match to make the score 4-3, Anna Aniskina closed out the victory at No. 4 singles. Her 6-7, 6-1, 6-0 victory gave NU the overall win.
- The Flyers were serving to win the No. 3 match when Northwood closed out the match.
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Northwood will now face third-seeded Drury in the second round at Noon Tuesday (May 2) at the Greater Midland Tennis Center. Drury picked up a thrilling 5-4 win over No. 6 seed Missouri-St. Louis in the opening round. The Northwood/Drury will advance to the round of 16 in Altamonte Spring, Fla. May 10.
1. Dora Andrejszki (LEWISW) def. Carol Arnez-Mercado (NU) 6-2, retired
2. Nora Mindiyarova (LEWISW) def. Olesia Riabchuk (NU) 6-1, 6-4
3. Tetyana Pavych (NU) vs. Oana Trus (LEWISW) 6-7, 2-5, unfinished
4. Anna Aniskina (NU) def. Sara Grozdanovic (LEWISW) 6-7, 6-1, 6-0
5. Kate Berestovenko (NU) def. Megan Conlin (LEWISW) 6-1, 6-3
6. Anastasiia Kazub (NU) def. Hailey Bruining (LEWISW) 6-1, 6-2
Lewis 16-8; Regional ranking #7
Northwood 21-2; Regional ranking #2
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (1,5,6,2,4)