OVERVIEW: Al Owens Meet
EVENT: Al Owens Meet
LOCATION: Grand Valley State University, Allendale, Mich.
RECAP: Paul Evans sets two school records as the Timberwolves track and field teams continue strong outdoor season.
INSIDE THE EVENT
- The Timberwolves track and field teams took the road once again and headed west, however, this weekend's hike was a friendly, in-state trek to Allendale, Michigan for the Al Owens Meet at Grand Valley State University.
- Paul Evans continued the incredible season and storied career with a weekend for the ages. Evans set two school records for Northwood – first in the men's hammer throw with a 2 meter personal best heave of 59.99. Not to be outdone, Evans went ahead and set a school record in the men's discus throw with a 3.5 meter personal best of 55.15 meters.
- Evans' prowess in the discus and hammer throw have earned him quite the collection of recognition. Evan now boasts the #1 ranking in the GLIAC for men's discus, and #6 in the entire country. The junior is also now #12 in the country for the men's hammer throw.
- Rami Gharsalli improved upon his #2 mark in school history in the men's 110 meter hurdles with a time of 14.10. Gharsalli now ranks in the top ten in the country for this event as well, claiming the nation's #8 ranking for the 110 hurdles.
- Additionally on the men's side of things, Colby Brundige improved upon his top 5 all-time mark in the Northwood record books in the 100m with his time of 10.73. Brundige remains fifth all-time at Northwood.
- Tyler Jensen ran a nine second personal best and the #5 time in school history in the 1500 with his time of 3:57.60. Jensen's day wasn't done yet, as he then returned later to run a 6 second personal record in the 800.
- On the women's side, the Timberwolves also had a memorable weekend. Beginning with the 4x100 team of Coleman, Young, Findlay and Meadows who improved on their #2 mark in school history with a time of 47.89.
- Madison Arnouts registered an NCAA provisional mark in the 400 meter hurdles with an impressive time of 61.70.
- Hannah Gearhart improved on her #6 mark in school history in the discus throw with her toss of 34.23.
- Riley Johnson threw a three meter personal best in the javelin throw to move into the #3 spot all time in the Northwood record books with a mark of 31.88m.
Coach Michael Roberts:
"The athletes competed well and several athletes have improved on their position heading into the conference championships. Today was a solid meet and this is where we want to be. We had several huge improvements across the board. The confidence level is high, and now it's time to continue our focus and preparation for the conference championships.
The Timberwolves continue the outdoor season at the Ashland Alumni Open on Friday and Saturday (April 28 & 29).