OVERVIEW – WAYNE STATE
SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 3, Wayne State Warriors 0 (25-21, 25-22, 25-17)
RECORDS: Northwood (9-7, 3-5 GLIAC), Wayne State (9-7, 5-3 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Riepma Arena– Midland, Mich.
RECAP: Allison Getty reaches a pair of milestones in a convincing 3-0 win over Wayne State Friday night (October 6).
INSIDE THE MATCH
- The two teams split the first 22 points of the contest in a tightly contested first set. Neither Northwood nor Wayne State had a lead greater than two until points until the Timberwolves took a 19-16 lead. That edge eventually extended to four at 21-17 and with four of the next eight points, Northwood was able to win a first set that included 11 ties. Northwood hit .114 (13-8-44) while Wayne State finished at .043 (10-8-46).
- The second set had an identical start to the first with both squads again scoring 11 of the first 22 points. Tied at 21 with neither team building a lead of more than three points to that point, the Timberwolves scored four of the next five points to win the set and take a 2-0 lead. Both team's offenses performed well in the second – WSU finished at .333 (15-4-33) while Northwood hit .312 (14-4-32).
- Wayne State jumped out to an early 6-3 lead in the third stanza and would score the 12 of the first 21 points to lead 12-9. The Timberwolves would storm back, however, with the best offensive run of the game. Responding with an 11-2 run to go up 20-14, Northwood never looked back on their way to a 25-17 win. NU finished the final set hitting .200 (10-4-30), compared to Wayne State at .103 (10-6-39).
- HITTING: Wayne State .165 (25-12-79), Northwood .197 (27-12-76)
- DIGS: Wayne State 33, Northwood 37 (Allison Getty – 12)
- BLOCKS: Wayne State 6.0, Northwood 7.0 (Sydney Greulich – 5)
- ACES: Wayne State 2, Northwood 2 (Mackenzie Kepler – 3)
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Allison Getty: 10 kills, 15 digs, 11.5 points
- Sydney Greulich: Eight kills, five blocks, 11.5 points
- Carson Rutherford: Eight kills
- Hailey Jones: 30 assists
- Northwood had lost the past four meetings dating back to 2014.
- This was the first win for Northwood against former NU coach Tim Koth at Wayne State. Koth coached at Northwood from 2004-2013.
- Allison Getty reached a pair of significant milestones in the match. In the opening set, she reached the 1,000 dig mark. Then on her final kill of the night, she reached the 1,000 kill mark for her career. She is the fifth player in school history to reach the 1,000 mark in both categories (Pavla Melicharova, Romana Moravkova, Joan Frysinger, Deana Zizkova).
• Northwood will host Grand Valley State Saturday (October 7). Game time is set for 5 p.m.