OVERVIEW – #16 FERRIS STATE
SCORES: Ferris State Bulldogs 3, Northwood Timberwolves 1 (25-20, 25-20, 24-26, 25-18)
RECORDS: Northwood (12-11, 4-8 GLIAC), Ferris State (17-6, 10-2 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Riepma Arena – Midland, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood dropped a 3-1 match to No. 16 Ferris State Saturday afternoon (October 28).
INSIDE THE MATCH
- The key run of the opening set came with Northwood leading 7-6. The Bulldogs put up six of the next seven points, earning a 13-7 lead in the process. Northwood fought back to get within two at 14-12, but Ferris State came right back with five of the next six points to make the score 19-13. The Timberwolves got no closer than three the rest of the way in a 25-20 FSU win. NU's offense struggled in the opening set, finishing with a -.081 attack percentage (10-13-37). Ferris State finished at .235 (54-18-153).
- The second set went back and forth – there were a total of 14 ties and six lead changes. Up until the final moments of the frame, neither team led by more than three points. Leading 22-20, the Bulldogs scored the final three points of the set to win 25-20 to go up 2-0. Both offenses improved in the second set: Northwood finished at .184 (12-5-38) compared to FSU at .244 (14-4-41).
- Much like the second, the third set was tight throughout. There were a total of 15 ties and seven lead changes. Ferris State held leads of 22-19 and eventually a set point at 24-23, only to see the Timberwolves take the final three points of the set to win 26-24. Northwood finished the third set hitting .173 (16-7-52) while Ferris State finished at .193 (16-6-52).
- The fourth set was tied 15-15 when the Bulldogs made the final push to close out the match. FSU earned 10 of the final 13 points to win the set 25-18 and the match 3-1. FSU had their best offensive set of the match in the fourth, finishing with a .375 attack percentage (16-4-32). Northwood hit .091 (8-5-33) in the final set.
- HITTING: Northwood: .100 (46-30-160), Ferris State: .235 (54-18-153)
- DIGS: Northwood 73 (Allison Getty – 16), Ferris State 75
- BLOCKS: Northwood 7 (Sydney Greulich – 5), Ferris State 9
- ACES: Northwood 5 (Mackenzie Kepler – 2), Ferris State 6
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Greulich: 13 kills, five blocks, 16.0 points
- Kepler/Rutherford: 10 kills
- Hailey Jones: 40 assists, 12 digs
- Northwood will host Lake Superior State Friday night (November 3). Match time is set for 7 p.m.