OVERVIEW – ST. CLOUD STATE/BEMIDJI STATE
SCORES: St. Cloud State Huskies 3, Northwood Timberwolves 0 (25-13, 25-21, 25-17)/Northwood 3, Bemidji State Beavers 1 (25-23, 25-23, 15-25, 25-15)
RECORDS: Northwood (1-4), St. Cloud State (2-1)/Northwood (2-4), Bemidji State Beavers (3-2)
LOCATION: Marquette, Mich. – Wildcat Invitational (Northern Michigan University
RECAP: Northwood went 1-1 at the Wildcat Invitational Friday (August 30), falling to St. Cloud State 3-0 before defeating Bemidji State 3-1.
INSIDE THE MATCH - ST. CLOUD STATE
- The opening set was tied 4-4 before St. Cloud State took over. The Huskies scored eight of the next nine points on their way to a 25-13 win. SCSU was hot offensively, hitting .550 (13-2-20) while Northwood ended up at -.032 (7-8-31).
- Northwood was much more competitive in the second set, as the score was level at 20-20. St. Cloud State finished the set strong, scoring four of the final five points to win 25-21. The Timberwolves finished the set hitting .118 (11-7-34), compared to the Huskies at .211 (14-6-38).
- NU trailed 15-14 before another SCSU run put the match away. The Huskies scored seven straight points to extend their advantage to 22-14 on their way to a 25-17 win. St. Cloud State ended the third set hitting .163 (18-10-49), while Northwood ended up at -.028 (5-6-36).
- HITTING: Northwood: .020 (23-21-101), St. Cloud State: .252 (45-18-107)
- DIGS: Northwood 35 (Grace Rekeweg – 10), St. Cloud State 54
- BLOCKS: Northwood 6.0 (Colleen Mayer – 3), St. Cloud State 4.0
- ACES: Northwood 1 (Mackenzie Kepler – 1), St. Cloud State 4
TOP NU PERFORMERS
INSIDE THE MATCH - BEMIDJI STATE
- It was Northwood who used a run late in the first set against Bemidji State to earn the early lead. The Timberwolves trailed 16-12 when NU posted seven of the next eight points to take the lead 19-17. The Beavers eventually tied the score at 23 before Northwood earned the final two points to win 25-23. Both teams had similar offensive numbers – NU finished the set hitting .190 (11-3-42) while BSU hit .189 (12-5-37).
- While the second set finished with the same score as the first, the set was played in a much different manner. The Beavers led big midway through the set, holding a 14-7 edge over Northwood. But the Timberwolves responded once again, scoring six straight points before eventually taking the lead at 23-22. NU scored four of the final five points to take the second 25-23. Northwood's offense was strong in the second, hitting .256 (14-4-39) while holding Bemidji State to a .147 mark (13-8-34).
- It was Bemidji State who used a big run in the third set to get one back. With the Beavers leading 15-13, BSU earned seven straight points to make it 22-13 on their way to a 25-15 win. Bemidji took advantage of NU's errors in the set – the Beavers had just six kills (6-1-19 - .263), but Northwood ended the set with 11 hitting errors (11-11-43).
- Northwood led for the majority of the fourth, but the score was tied 23-23 late. NU then scored the final two points of the match to close out the win. Both offenses were strong in the fourth set - the Timberwolves hit .382 (16-3-34), while the Beavers finished at .34 (14-3-32).
- HITTING: Northwood: .196 (52-21-158), Bemidji State : .230 (45-17-122)
- DIGS: Northwood 54 (Brenna Murphy – 13), Bemidji State 66
- BLOCKS: Northwood 4.0 (Mayer – 3), Bemidji State 4.0
- ACES: Northwood 5 (Venera Kadriu – 3), Bemidji State 8
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Rekeweg: 13 kills, 10 digs
- Mayer: 10 kills, three blocks, .409 attack percentage (10-1-22)
- Macy Lintz: 39 assists
- Northwood will take on Minnesota-Crookston and Minnesota Duluth Saturday (September 1) to finish play at the Wildcat Open.