OVERVIEW – ASHLAND
SCORE: Ashland Eagles 3, Northwood Timberwolves 0, (25-28, 25-11, 25-22)
RECORDS: Ashland (16-3, 9-1 GLIAC), Northwood (6-12, 3-7 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Riepma Arena– Midland, Mich.
RECAP: Ashland sweeps Northwood Friday night (October 6).
INSIDE THE MATCH
- Northwood played up to their opponent and split the first 24 points of the first set. Ashland would soon round into form however, scoring seven of the next 10 points to take a 19-15 edge. The Eagles rode their momentum for the rest of the set, eventually winning 25-18. The Timberwolves posted an attack percentage of .062 (12-9-48), while Ashland countered with a .167 (12-5-42) line. The Eagles also out-blocked the Timberwolves 4-0 in the set.
- The Eagles' momentum continued at the start of the second. Scoring 11 of the first 16 points, AU built up a 19-8 spread and cruised to a 25-11 win. NU struggled to get anything going, as they posted a line of -.114 (6-10-35). Ashland's offense was efficient, finishing at .481 (14-1-27). Blocking was also a key part of the set again, as AU held a 5-0 edge in the second.
- The Timberwolves were able to start on the right foot in the third, taking a 9-8 lead early in the set. NU continued to battle and brought the game to a 15-15 tie mid-way through the stanza, going out in front 18-17 later in the period. The two teams would continue to trade points, with Northwood taking another late lead at 22-21. However, Ashland would eventually come out on top with four consecutive points to win 25-22. The Timberwolves finished the third at .075 (12-9-40), while AU ended up at .233 (12-5-30).
- HITTING: Ashland .273 (38-11-99), Northwood .016 (30-28-123)
- DIGS: Ashland 56, Northwood 45 (Mackenzie Kepler – 11)
- BLOCKS: Ashland 14, Northwood 2 (Karlie Wengorovius– 2)
- ACES: Ashland 3, Northwood 3 (Meredith Collins, Brenna Murphy, Nadia Atton – 1 each)
TOP NU PERFORMERS
• Northwood will host Wayne State Saturday (October 6) for a match against the Warriors. Match time is set for 2 p.m.