OVERVIEW – QUINCY
SCORE: Quincy Hawks 3, Northwood Timberwolves 2 (18-25, 25-14, 25-20, 22-25, 15-11)
RECORDS: Quincy 10-13/ Northwood 4-15
LOCATION: The Academy Volleyball Club – Indianapolis, Ind.
RECAP: Volleyball drops tough 3-2 match to Quincy Saturday (October 19) at the Midwest Region Crossover.
INSIDE THE MATCH – QUINCY
- Northwood set the tone for the opening set right away, scoring six of the first eight points of the match. Quincy did not get any close than two points the rest of the way as NU took the opening set 25-18. The Timberwolves had a strong set offensively in the first, hitting .343 (14-2-35). Quincy ended the first at .184 (13-6-38).
- It was Quincy that got off to the fast start in the second set, as the Hawks registered six of the first seven points. Northwood got no closer than four points the remainder of the set, which Quincy took by the score of 25-14. Much like the score, the second set offensive numbers were flipped from the opener: Quincy hit .385 (15-5-26) while Northwood ended at .000 (6-6-23).
- Quincy kept the momentum going early in the third, putting up seven of the first nine points. After trailing by as many as 10 (18-8), Northwood fought back to get within three at 23-20 before the Hawks closed out the set at 25-20. QU had the advantage on the offensive end in the third as well, hitting .217 (16-6-46) compared to NU at .050 (8-6-40).
- For the first time in the match, the start of the fourth set was evenly played, as the score was tied 8-8 after 16 points. The Timberwolves trailed 15-10 before a big push by Northwood put them in position to level the match. NU scored eight of the next nine points to go up 18-16 on their way to a 25-22 win. Hitting numbers in the fourth were close – Northwood finished with a .290 attack percentage (13-4-31) and Quincy ended at .257 (16-7-35).
- The crucial part of the final set came with the score tied 5-5. The Hawks scored five of six points to go up 10-6. NU got within two points on four separate occasions after that but no closer as Quincy earned the win 15-11. Both offenses struggled in the fifth: Northwood hit .045 (5-4-22), Quincy finished at .040 (7-6-25).
- HITTING: Northwood .159 (46-22-151), Quincy .218 (67-30-170)
- DIGS: Northwood 61 (Venera Kadriu – 16), Quincy 74
- BLOCKS: Northwood 9 (Hannah Siegel – five), Quincy 7
- ACES: Northwood 4 (Macy Lintz – two), Quincy 4
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Mackenzie Kepler: 10 kills, six digs
- Kadriu: Eight kills, 16 digs
- Siegel: Five kills, five blocks
- Karlie Wengorovius: Nine kills
- Macy Lintz: 36 assists, three kills, eight digs, two blocks
- Northwood will travel to Ashland Friday (October 25). Match time is set for 7 p.m.