OVERVIEW – WAYNE STATE
SCORE: Wayne State Warriors 3, Northwood Timberwolves 1 (21-25, 25-15, 28-26, 25-19)
RECORDS: Wayne State 10-10, 4-7 GLIAC/Northwood 4-17, 4-7 GLIAC
LOCATION: Matthaei Center – Detroit, Michigan
RECAP: Volleyball takes opening set but falls in four sets at Wayne State Saturday afternoon (October 26).
INSIDE THE MATCH – WAYNE STATE
- The opening set was level at 12-12 when the Timberwolves made a push for the early advantage. NU scored five of the next six points to go up 17-13. The Timberwolves eventually led 24-19 before winning the first 25-21. Northwood's offense was solid in the opening set, hitting .293 while holding Wayne State to a .071 mark
- Wayne State's hitting was the story of the second set. The Warrior scored seven of the first nine points and never looked back – NU go no closer than four points the remainder of the way. WSU hit a remarkable .630 (18-1-27) in the second. Northwood finished at .185 (8-3-27).
- The third set was extremely close – from the point with the score 8-7, neither team led by more than two points. NU was two points away from taking the set at 23-21, only to see the Warriors score three straight points to go up 24-23. Wayne State converted on their third set point to win 28-26 to take the 2-1 lead. Hitting numbers in the third were very even – NU hit .191 (18-9-47) while WSU finished at .196 (15-6-46).
- Northwood led the fourth 11-7 when the Warriors ran off seven of the next eight points to go up 14-12. With WSU leading 16-15, Wayne State put up five of the next six points to set up a 25-19 win and a 3-1 overall victory. Northwood hit .207 in the fourth (11-5-29), compared to the Warriors at .300 (15-6-30).
- HITTING: Northwood .222 (54-22-144), Wayne State .262 (58-20-145)
- DIGS: Northwood 60 (Lauren Bell – 20), Wayne State 61
- BLOCKS: Northwood 9 (Karlie Wengorovius – four), Wayne State 5
- ACES: Northwood 4 (Bell – 2), Wayne State 6
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Grace Rekeweg: 14 kills, seven digs
- Mackenzie Kepler: 13 kills, three blocks, .370 attack percentage (13-3-27)
- Hannah Siegel: 11 kills, three blocks
- Macy Lintz: 44 assists, 12 digs
- Northwood will host three matches next week, starting with a non-conference contest against Alma Tuesday night (October 29). First serve is set for 7 p.m.