OVERVIEW – SAGINAW VALLEY
SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 3, Saginaw Valley State Cardinals 2 (26-28, 22-25, 25-23, 25-22, 15-8)
RECORDS: Saginaw Valley (0-2, 0-2 GLIAC), Northwood (2-0, 2-0 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Ryder Center – University Center, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood Volleyball rallies back from ta 2-0 deficit to earn a 3-2 road win over rival Saginaw Valley Saturday afternoon (February 20).
INSIDE THE MATCH
- The opening set was close – Northwood held a trio of three point leads, which proved to be the largest advantage for either side. NU had multiple chances to take the 1-0 lead, having set points at 24-23, 25-24 and 26-25. But SVSU responded each time and then scored the final three points of the set to win 28-26. NU ended the first by hitting .200 (17-7-50), while SVSU hit .308 (14-2-39).
- SVSU led the 21-15 in the second when Northwood fought back, scoring six of the next seven points to cut the lead to 22-21. Saginaw Valley responded by claiming three of the final four points to go up 2-0. Both teams put up solid hitting numbers in the second – Northwood finished at .258 (12-4-31) while the Cardinals hit .212 (12-5-33).
- Northwood scored six straight points early in the third set to go up 9-4. SVSU eventually leveled the score at 15-15 before NU responded with eight of the next 12 points on their way to a 25-22 win. Both team fell back offensively in the set – NU hit .162 (14-8-37) while SVSU finished at .103 (9-6-29).
- Northwood used six out of seven points midway through the third set to take control. NU eventually scored the final three points of the set to force a fifth set 25-22. The Timberwolves picked up their offense in the fourth, hitting .237 (15-6-38). The Cardinals finished at .108 (12-8-37).
- The key portion of the final set came with Northwood leading 7-6. The Timberwolves scored four straight and eight of the final 10 points to win 15-8. Northwood had a strong hitting final set, finishing at .296 (10-2-27). SVSU fell back to .080 (5-3-25).
- HITTING: Northwood .224 (68-27-183), Saginaw Valley .172 (52-24-163)
- DIGS: Northwood 80 (Lauren Bell – 25), Saginaw Valley 67
- BLOCKS: Northwood 6 (Macy Lintz – Four), Saginaw Valley 8
- ACES: Northwood 3 (Three Players – One), Saginaw Valley 5
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Mackenzie Kepler: 17 kills, 16 digs
- Grace Rekeweg: 17 kills, nine digs
- Venera Kadrui: 13 kills, 12 digs
- Sydney Sweet: 10 kills, three blocks
- Lauren Bell: 25 digs
- Macy Lintz: 52 assists, four blocks, nine digs
- Northwood will host Michigan Tech for a pair of matches starting Saturday (February 27).