OVERVIEW – #23 MICHIGAN TECH
SCORE: #23 Michigan Tech Huskies 3, Northwood 1 (23-25, 25-15, 27-25, 25-16)
RECORDS: Michigan Tech (3-1, 3-1 GLIAC), Northwood (3-1, 3-1 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Riepma Arena – Midland, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood Volleyball takes opening set but falls 3-1 to No. 23 Michigan Tech Sunday afternoon (February 28).
INSIDE THE MATCH
- One day after coming back from a 2-0 deficit, Northwood came out strong in the opening set. The Timberwolves scored the first four points and 10 of the first 13 overall. Michigan Tech fought back, eventually tying the score 23-23. But the Timberwolves responded by scoring the final two points to win 25-23. Both defenses played well in the first set – MTU hit .098 (12-7-51) while Northwood finished at .154 (15-7-52).
- Northwood got off to a good start in the second set, eventually leading 11-8. That is when the tide of the match turned, as Michigan Tech scored eight straight and 13 of the next 14 points to go up 21-12. MTU eventually won 25-15 to level the match at one set apiece. The Huskies stepped up their offense in the second set, finishing with a .400 attack percentage (12-4-30). NU finished at .109 (13-8-46).
- The third set proved to be key for the match as was tightly contested. The largest lead for either team was three points. Northwood has a pair of chances to close out the set, leading 24-23 and 25-24. But the Huskies responded each time and scored the final three points to win 27-25, taking a 2-1 lead. Both teams hit well in the third set – the Timberwolves ended at .257 (16-7-35) while Michigan Tech finished at .302 (19-6-43).
- After the close win in the third set, Michigan Tech used the momentum from the win to close out the match. The Huskies scored seven of the first nine points early. Northwood got back within two at 8-6, but MTU responded with five of the next six to lead 13-7. NU got no closer than five the remainder of the set, which Michigan Tech won 25-16. MTU continued their consisted offensive numbers in the final set, finishing at .304 (18-4-46). Northwood fell back to .073 (9-6-41).
- HITTING: Northwood .144 (53-28-174), Michigan Tech .259 (63-19-170)
- DIGS: Northwood 73 (Mackenzie Kepler – 21), Michigan Tech 83
- BLOCKS: Northwood 9 (Sydney Sweet – Five), Michigan Tech 13
- ACES: Northwood 2 (Macy Lintz/Venera Kadriu – 1), Michigan Tech 5
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Mary Gallagher: 13 kills, three blocks, .458 attack percentage (13-2-24)
- Mackenzie Kepler: 12 kills, 21 digs, two blocks
- Venera Kadriu: 11 kills, 12 digs
- Sydney Sweet: Six kills, five blocks
- Macy Lintz: 48 assists, six digs, three blocks
- Northwood will host Wayne State Friday (March 5). First serve is set for 6 p.m.