OVERVIEW – Grand Valley
SCORES: No. 21 Northwood Timberwolves 5, Grand Valley State Lakers 0 / Northwood 20, Grand Valley State Lakers 12
RECORDS: Northwood (10-2, 2-0 GLIAC), Grand Valley (8-8, 4-2 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Gerace Stadium – Midland, Mich.
RECAP: No. 21 Northwood sweeps Grand Valley in their home-opener (April 2).
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS (SEVEN INNINGS)
- Carson Longstreth got the Timberwolves started in the bottom of the second with a two-run homerun to left field, scoring Khale Showers.
- NU extended their lead to 3-0 in the fourth inning thanks to Carson Longstreth's second homerun of the game.
- Northwood added two more runs in the fifth inning. Jacob Rybicki started off the scoring on a GVSU balk, followed by Connor Kin's RBI double to push the NU lead to 5-0.
- That proved to be the final runs of the day as Logan Lee earned the shutout win for the Timberwolves.
GAME ONE STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors: Northwood 5/8/1, Grand Valley 0/9/1
- Runners left on base: Northwood 2, Grand Valley 10
- Winning Pitcher – Logan Lee (4-0): 7 IP, 9 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 8 SO
- Losing Pitcher – Nick Rutkowski (1-2): 6 IP, 8 H, 5 R, 1 BB, 2 K
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Longstreth: 2-3, 2 HR, 3 RBI
- Kin: 1-3, RBI
- Rybicki/Showers/Brooks: H, R
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS (NINE INNINGS)
- The Timberwolves got on the board first, exploding for five runs in the bottom of the second. Matt Magno got the scoring started with an RBI single. Rhett Evans added a two-run RBI triple, followed by another RBI triple from Mike Karam. Jacob Rybicki added an RBI double to round out the scoring in the inning.
- NU carried their momentum into the third inning, starting with a bases loaded hit by pitch for Matt Magno. A sacrifice fly from Rhett Evans pushed the Northwood lead to 7-0.
- Grand Valley used a big fourth inning to push across five runs and make the score 7-5.
- The Timberwolves responded in the bottom of the inning. NU added three runs thanks to an RBI single from Kin and a two-run RBI single from Evans to extend their lead to 10-5.
- The Lakers plated a run in the fifth to put the score at 10-6.
- Mike Karam started the sixth inning off with a triple, then capitalized on a Grand Valley error to reach home. Jacob Rybicki continued the scoring on a balk, followed by a Kin RBI single to score Cole Brooks. Magno then hit three-run home run to make the score 16-6
- GVSU pushed across two more runs on three hits in the top of the seventh.
- The Timberwolves took advantage of loaded bases in the bottom of the seventh. Magno started the scoring in the inning with a sacrifice fly that brought home Kin. Khale Showers added a run on a GVSU error, followed by a Karam RBI single to push the Northwood lead to 19-8.
- Cole Brooks added a solo homerun in the eighth for the Timberwolves' 20th run of the game.
- Grand Valley added four runs in the top of the ninth to round out the scoring.
GAME TWO STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors: Northwood 20/20/0, Grand Valley 12/15/2
- Runners left on base: Northwood 7, Grand Valley 8
- Winning Pitcher – Jake Jekielek (1-0): 1 1/3 IP, BB
- Losing Pitcher – Austin Brown (1-3): 2 IP, 8 H, 6 R, BB, K
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Magno: 2-3, HR, 6 RBI, 2 R
- Evans: 2-5, 6 RBI, R
- Kin: 3-4, 2 RBI, 4 R
- Brooks: 3-5, HR, 3 RBI, R
- Karam: 3-5,2 3B, 2 RBI, 2 R
- Longstreth: 2-2, 3 R
- This was the first home baseball game in nearly two years - NU's last home game was April 28, 2019, a span of 705 days.
- Northwood will continue their home series with a doubleheader versus Grand Valley Saturday (April 3). The first game is scheduled to start at Noon.