OVERVIEW – ALMA
SCORES: Northwood Timberwolves 20, Alma Scots 10
RECORDS: Northwood (15-4), Alma (9-9)
LOCATION: Klenk Park – Alma, Mich.
RECAP: Baseball take high scoring contest at Alma College Wednesday afternoon (April 14), winning 20-10.
- Northwood started the game fast, as back-to-back triples by Jacob Rybicki and David Jeffers to put NU on top 1-0.
- Jeffers then came home on a wild pitch to make the score 2-0 after a half inning.
- The Scots responded right away, pushing across four runs in the bottom of the first to send the game to the second with the score 4-2.
- Northwood came right back with a big inning of their own in the top of the second, starting with a Cole Brooks two-run double.
- Connor Kin gave Northwood the lead back with a sacrifice fly to make the score 5-4.
- Rhett Evans added an RBI single to add to the NU lead.
- Matt Magno then made it an 8-4 lead with a two-run homer to left field to finish off a six-run second inning for the Timberwolves.
- Alma came right back once again, scoring two in the second and one in the third to send the game to the fourth with NU leading 8-7.
- Carson Longstreth got the Northwood lead back up to two runs with a run-scoring double in the top of the fourth.
- The Scots came back once again in the bottom of the fifth, tying the game at 9-9 with a pair of runs.
- Northwood went back on top in the top of the sixth inning, taking the lead on an RBI single by Evans.
- Magno then hit his second home run of the day, a two-run shot to left that made the NU lead 12-9.
- The Timberwolves added to their lead in the eighth, starting with a run coming home on an error following a bunt single by Michael Karam.
- Jeffers added a two run double that extended the NU lead to 15-9.
- The Scots plated a run in the bottom of the eighth to get within five at 15-10.
- Northwood put up one more big inning to close out the game in the ninth, starting with Evans coming home on a wild pitch.
- Blake Solomon made the score 17-10 with a sac fly, which was followed by a Karam RBI single.
- Rybicki added his second triple of the day to bring home Karam.
- Brooks got Northwood to 20 with an RBI single to score Rybicki and make the score 20-10.
GAME ONE STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors: Northwood 20/26/4, Alma 10/16/1
- Runners left on base: Northwood 11, Alma 14
- Winning Pitcher – Jack Gulvas (1-1): IP, H, 2 R
- Losing Pitcher – Cam Jones (0-1): 2 IP, 4 H, 2 R, BB, K
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Evans: 6-6, 2B, 3 R, 2 RBIs
- Rybicki: 3-6, 2 3B, 2B, 3 R, RBI
- Jeffers: 4-7, 2B, 3B, 2 R, 3 RBIs
- Brooks: 3-6, 2B, R, 3 RBIs
- Magno: 2-5, 2 HR, 3 R, 4 RBIs
- Karam: 4-6, 3 R, RBI
- Northwood will travel to Ashland for a four game series, starting Friday (April 16) at 3 p.m.