OVERVIEW – WAYNE STATE
SCORES: Wayne State Warriors 11, Northwood Timberwolves 6
RECORDS: Northwood (27-13, 18-10 GLIAC), Wayne State (22-14, 14-10)
LOCATION: Harwell Field – Detroit, Mich.
RECAP: Baseball falls at Wayne State 11-6 to finish regular season Sunday afternoon (May 16), giving the Timberwolves the No. 3 seed in the upcoming GLIAC Tournament.
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS (SEVEN INNINGS)
- On a day where the Timberwolves were forced to have a "staff day" with their pitchers thanks to using normal starter Derek Clark out of the bullpen yesterday, the Warriors took full advantage right away. The Warriors plated four runs in the opening inning to take the early lead.
- Northwood fought back in the top of the third inning thanks to a bases-clearing double from Cole Brooks that made the score 4-3.
- Wayne State responded right away, scoring three runs in the bottom of the inning to get the lead back to four at 7-3.
- Three more runs for the Warriors in the fourth made the score 10-3.
- Northwood put a run up in the fifth on a Matt Magno RBI fielder's choice.
- WSU got their final run of the game in the top of the seventh to push the lead to 11-4.
- The Timberwolves did get a pair in the ninth inning thanks to Brooks once again, as he drove home a pair on a double to make the final score 11-6.
- Runs/Hits/Errors: Wayne 11/11/0, Northwood 6/6/2
- Runners left on base: Wayne State 5, Northwood 6
- Winning Pitcher – Chad Sommers (3-3): 5 2/3 IP, 4 H, 4 R, 4 BB, 2 K
- Losing Pitcher – Jake Jekielek (1-4): 1/3 IP, 3 H, 4 R, BB
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- With the loss, Northwood falls to the No. 3 seed for the upcoming GLIAC Tournament. Davenport (19-9 – .679) claims the GLIAC regular season championship and the No. 1 seed for the tournament. GVSU (13-7 – .650) is the No. 2 seed.
- Northwood will compete at the GLIAC Tournament May 20-23 at Jackson Field in Lansing, Michigan. NU will face fourth-seeded Ashland in the opening round at a time to be determined.