OVERVIEW – ASHLAND
SCORE: Ashland Eagles 60, Northwood Timberwolves 50
RECORDS: Northwood (5-10, 5-10 GLIAC), Ashland (9-7, 9-6 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Kates Gymnasium – Ashland, Ohio
RECAP: Northwood men's basketball drops 60-50 contest at Ashland Friday afternoon (February 19).
- In an opening half full of runs, Ashland started first, scoring the first 12 points of the contest in the opening 3:10.
- Northwood responded with a 12-3 run to get within three at 15-12.
- The Eagles then put up 12 of the next 14 points to get the lead back to 13 at 27-14.
- NU got the lead back to down to seven with a 9-3 run to make the score 30-23, only to see the Eagles score seven of the final nine to lead 37-28 at the break.
- The Timberwolves were 11-30 from the floor overall (36.7 percent) in the opening 20 minutes. NU was 4-13 from 3-point range (36.4 percent) and 2-2 from the foul line.
- Ashland made 11 of 24 from the floor in the half (45.8 percent). The Eagles earned the lead thanks in large part to their 3-point shooting, making 6-13 overall (46.2 percent). AU was also 9-14 from the foul line.
- Northwood cut the AU lead to five at 41-36 with 15:09 remaining.
- The Eagles lead was 46-38 with 12:35 remaining when Ashland made the key push of the game, scoring seven straight points to go up 53-38.
- NU got no closer than seven the remainder of the way.
- Both offenses struggled after halftime – Northwood shot 32.0 percent from the floor (8-25) while making 4-11 from 3-point range (36.4 percent). NU made 2-3 from the foul line in the half (66.7 percent). The Timberwolves committed 12 second half turnovers.
- Ashland won the game thanks to the foul line - the Eagles were just 3-18 from the floor in the second half (16.7 percent) overall and 2-14 from the 3-point line (14.3 percent). AU was 15-17 from the foul line (88.2 percent) to overcome their 10 second half turnovers.
- Northwood also had solid shooting numbers, finishing at 48.3 percent in the second half (14-29). NU was 3-5 from 3-point range (60.0 percent) and 7-9 from the foul line (77.9 percent).
- FG PERCENTAGE: Ashland .333 (14-42), Northwood .345 (19-55)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Ashland .296 (8-26), Northwood .364 (8-22)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Ashland .774 (24-31), Northwood .800 (4-5)
- REBOUNDS: Ashland 37 (Seven offensive), Northwood 30 (Seven offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Ashland 11/20, Northwood 12/20
- POINTS IN THE PAINT: Ashland 12, Northwood 18
- POINTS OFF TURNOVERS: Ashland 18, Northwood 22
- SECOND CHANCE POINTS: Ashland 5, Northwood 4
- BENCH POINTS: Ashland 6, Northwood 9
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Maurion Scott: 14 points, five rebounds, two assists, two steals
- Jack Ammerman: 13 points, three rebounds, three assists, three 3-point field goals
- The Timberwolves and the Eagles will finish their weekend series Saturday (February 20) at 1 p.m.