OVERVIEW – #13 GRAND VALLEY STATE
SCORES: Grand Valley State Lakers 5, Northwood Timberwolves 3
RECORDS: Northwood 29-14/Grand Valley State 41-7
LOCATION: Sandusky, Ohio – Sports Force Field 2
RECAP: Softball takes early lead but falls 5-3 to #13 Grand Valley State Thursday (May 13) in the GLIAC Tournament finals.
- Northwood put the first runs of the game on the board in the third inning. Lauren Castellon had a double, which combined with an error brought home Maddie Coulter
- Grace Dutoi followed with an RBI single to make the score 2-0.
- Karlie Moore then had an RBI single for the Timberwolves to make the Northwood lead 3-0.
- GVSU responded with two in the bottom of the third to make the lead 3-2.
- The key rally of the game came in the bottom of the fifth after the first two Lakers were retired. Grand Valley State scored three runs on three hits, a hit batter and a walk to go up 5-3.
- The Timberwolves had numerous chances to add on to their total but left a total of 10 runners on base in the game.
- Runs/Hits/Errors: Grand Valley State 5/8/3, Northwood 3/7/0
- Runners left on base: Grand Valley State 5, Northwood 10
- Winning Pitcher – Hannah Beatus (21-2): 7 IP, 7 H, 3 R, 4 BB, 4 K
- Losing Pitcher – Taylor Wright (7-1): 6 IP, 8 H, 5 R, BB
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Maddie Coulter: 3-4, R, SB
- Dutoi/Moore: H, RBI
- Mankel: RBI
- Castellon: 2B, R
- Northwood will find out its NCAA Regional Tournament fate Sunday night (May 16) at 10 p.m. when the field is announced on NCAA.com. Six teams in the region will make the field. NU was ranked third in the final regional rankings.