OVERVIEW – ASHLAND
SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 74, Ashland Eagles 67
RECORDS: Northwood (9-5, 9-5 GLIAC), Ashland (8-6, 8-6 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Riepma Arena – Midland, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood women's basketball earned a 74-67 home victory against Ashland Friday night (February 19).
- The Eagles came out fast in the opening quarter, leading 19-10 with 3:22 remaining.
- Northwood responded with a fast run, scoring 10 straight points in in 2:24 to go up 20-19.
- AU hit the final shot of the quarter to go up 21-20 after one.
- Ashland shot 52.9 percent in the opening quarter, making 9-17 overall. The Eagles went 3-9 from beyond the 3-point line.
- The Timberwolves finished the first at 47.1 percent overall (8-17). NU was 2-6 from 3-point range (33.3 percent) and made both of their free throws.
- NU played well to start the second quarter, going up 34-25 with five minutes remaining.
- The Eagles chipped away at the lead, making the score 41-36 at the break.
- Northwood picked up their shooting in the second, finishing at 53.3 percent overall (8-15) and 2-4 from 3-point range (50.0 percent). NU also made three of four from the foul line (75.0 percent).
- Ashland ended the second at 46.2 percent overall (6-13). The Eagles went 1-5 from 3-point range and made both of their free throws.
- The Timberwolves got off to a good start in the third quarter as well, pushing the lead to 49-36 with under six minutes remaining.
- Ashland responded, scoring 16 of the final 23 points of the quarter to make the Northwood lead 56-52 after three.
- NU ended the third quarter at 40.0 percent overall (4-10) and from 3-point range (2-5). NU was 5-6 from the foul line in the quarter (83.3 percent).
- Ashland made 6-11 from the floor in the third (54.5 percent) while missing both of their 3-point attempts. The Eagles made all four of the free throws.
- The Eagles got the lead down to two points in the final quarter, but were not able to tie the score.
- NU scored eight straight points to get the lead back to 10 before eventually winning by seven.
- Northwood was 5-13 from the floor in the final 10 minutes (38.5 percent). NU went 8-8 from the foul line in the quarter, all of which were shot by Makenzie Todd.
- The Eagles went 5-14 in the fourth (35.7 percent) while going 1-6 from 3-point range (16.7 percent). The Eagles made all four of their free throw attempts.
- FG PERCENTAGE: Ashland .429 (26-55), Northwood .446 (25-56)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Ashland .167 (5-22), Northwood .353 (6-17)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Ashland 1.000 (10-10), Northwood .900 (18-20)
- REBOUNDS: Ashland 28 (Five offensive), Northwood 34 (Ten offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Ashland 13/17, Northwood 12/19
- POINTS IN THE PAINT: Ashland 42, Northwood 36
- POINTS OFF TURNOVERS: Ashland 21, Northwood 18
- SECOND CHANCE POINTS: Ashland 8, Northwood 13
- FAST BREAK POINTS: Ashland 0, Northwood 12
- BENCH POINTS: Ashland 18, Northwood 11
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Makenzie Todd: 29 points (career-high), 7-14 from the floor, 5-10 from 3-point range, 10-10 from the foul line, three steals
- Alli Keyser: 11 points, four rebounds, three assists, two steals
- Alana Nelson: 10 points, nine rebounds, two blocks
- The Timberwolves and Eagles will finish their weekend series Saturday (February 20). Game time is set for 3 p.m.