OVERVIEW – #23 MICHIGAN TECH
SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 3, #23 Michigan Tech Huskies 2 (16-25, 21-25, 25-22, 26-24, 15-12)
RECORDS: Michigan Tech (2-1, 2-1 GLIAC), Northwood (3-0, 3-0 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Riepma Arena – Midland, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood Volleyball rallies back from ta 2-0 deficit for the second straight match, this time downing No. 23 Michigan Tech 3-2 Saturday (February 27).
INSIDE THE MATCH
- Michigan Tech took control of the opening set right away, going up 12-3. Northwood got no closer than six points the rest of the way, as MTU took the opener 25-16. The Huskies hit .344 (16-5-32) in the set while holding Northwood to a .074 clip (9-7-27).
- Northwood started the second set much better, leading 7-4. With the lead at 9-8, the Huskies went on a run. MTU put up eight of the next 10 points to go up 16-11. Michigan Tech eventually led 22-16, but Northwood responded with four straight points to get within two at 22-20. The Huskies then closed out the set with three of the final four points to take a 2-0 lead. Both teams hit well in the second – MTU finished at .286 (18-6-42) while NU ended at .229 (14-6-35).
- The Timberwolves led 13-10 in the third, only to see the Huskies score four of the next five points to level the score at 14. NU came right back, matching MTU with four of the next five points to go back up 18-15. Northwood maintained the lead the remainder of the set, not allowing the Huskies to get any closer than two points. Northwood had their best hitting set of the match in the third, finishing at .417 (19-4-36). Michigan Tech ended the set with strong hitting numbers as well, ending at .282 (14-3-39).
- The fourth set was tight throughout – the biggest lead for either side was just two points. Northwood took advantage of their second set point to win 26-24 and force a fifth set. The Timberwolves ended the fourth at .312 (14-4-32), while MTU hit .217 (18-8-46).
- Just like the fourth, the final set was very close the entire way. With Northwood leading 10-8, the two teams alternated points all the way to the Timberwolves leading 14-12. An ace for Northwood gave NU a 15-12 win to close out the comeback victory. Both teams continued their strong hitting in the final frame – NU ended the fifth at .308 (11-3-26) while MTU finished at .348 (9-1-23).
- HITTING: Northwood .276 (67-24-156), Michigan Tech .286 (75-23-182)
- DIGS: Northwood 68 (Lauren Bell – 20), Michigan Tech 56
- BLOCKS: Northwood 8 (Sydney Sweet – Four), Michigan Tech 6
- ACES: Northwood 4 (Macy LIntz – Three), Michigan Tech 5
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Venera Kadriu: 19 kills, 12 digs
- Mackenzie Kepler: 15 kills, 18 digs, three blocks
- Grace Rekeweg: 15 kills, three blocks
- Sydney Sweet: Eight kills, four blocks
- Mary Gallagher: Eight kills three blocks
- Macy Lintz: 60 assists, 11 digs
- Northwood's previous win prior to tonight also saw the Timberwolves come back from a 2-0 deficit to win 3-2. NU won at Saginaw Valley last Saturday in similar fashion (16-25, 21-25, 25-22, 26-24, 15-12).
- Northwood and Michigan Tech will finish their weekend series with a match Sunday (February 28). First serve is set for 2 p.m.