OVERVIEW – CATAWBA
SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 3, Catawba College 0 (25-18, 26-19, 25-15)
RECORDS: Northwood 3-0/Catawba 2-2
LOCATION: Croy Gymnasium – Findlay, Ohio
RECAP: Northwood Volleyball finishes a perfect opening weekend with a 3-0 sweep over Catawba Saturday afternoon (September 4).
INSIDE THE MATCH
- Northwood set the tone for the day right at the start, scoring seven of the first eight points of the day. The Timberwolves stayed in control the rest of the set, leading by as many as 10 while not allowing Catawba to get any closer than six in NU's 25-18 win. NU had a strong set offensively, hitting .357 (14-4-28) while Catawba finished at .000 (8-8-32).
- Catawba led 7-6 in the second set when the Timberwolves made a push. NU scored four straight and six of eight to go on top for good. Northwood got their lead to as many as six and matched that margin in the end of a 25-19 set win to go up 2-0. NU ended the second set hitting .286 (14-6-28) compared to CC at .238 (8-3-21).
- Northwood started fast in the final set as well, scoring six of the first seven points. Catawba fought back to get within three at 16-13, but the Timberwolves responded with nine of the final 11 points to close out the sweep. Northwood ended the final set hitting .171 (11-5-35) but held Catawba to a .107 clip (8-5-28). NU's six service aces were key to the third set win.
- HITTING: Catawba .099 (24-16-81), Northwood .264 (39-15-91)
- DIGS: Catawba 24, Northwood 37 (Olivia Ott – 13)
- BLOCKS: Catawba 6, Northwood 1 (Maya Ferland/Ott – 1)
- ACES: Catawba 5, Northwood 13 (Sophia Oakes – Four)
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Sydney Sweet: 10 kills, .467 attack percentage (10-3-15)
- Ott: Seven kills, three aces, 13 digs
- Ferland/Grace Rekeweg: Seven kills each
- Macy Lintz: 33 assists, two aces
- At the conclusion of the event, three Timberwolves were named to the All-Tournament team – Macy Lintz (MVP), Grace Rekeweg and Sydney Sweet
- Northwood will compete at the Clarion Invitational starting Friday (September 10) with a match against Tiffin. First serve is set for 11 a.m.