The Northwood University men's tennis team clinched the outright GLIAC Championship Tuesday afternoon (April 16) with a 6-3 win over Wayne State.
Northwood has now won 19 consecutive GLIAC Championships. The Timberwolves finish the regular season 13-4 overall, 11-0 in the GLIAC. Wayne State falls to 12-6 overall, 9-1 in the GLIAC.
Wayne State had a chance to earn a share of the GLIAC title with a win today and came out strong in doubles. The Warriors won the first two matches of the day, winning 8-2 at No. 2 and 8-4 at No. 3 doubles. Northwood made the score 2-1 heading into singles with an 8-5 win by Florian Boggia and Jean Menard at No. 1 doubles.
Northwood was the better team in singles, winning five of the six matches. NU took straight-set wins at the No. 3, 4 and 6 positions by Florian Boggia, Lorenzo Montegiorgi and Konstantin Zhukov. Northwood also claimed straight-set wins at the No. 1 (Menard) and No. 2 (Marcus Oliveira).
The Timberwolves finished conference play 55-11 in singles (.833) and 28-5 in doubles (.848).
Northwood will take part in the GLIAC Tournament Friday-Sunday (April 19-21) at the Midland Community Tennis Center.
1. Jean Menard (NU) def. Aman Gill (WS-M) 6-0, 6-7, 6-3
2. Marcus Oliveira (NU) def. Thomas Ducret (WS-M) 6-4, 3-6, 7-6
3. Florian Boggia (NU) def. Mohamed Fazyl Kechai (WS-M) 6-3, 6-0
4. Lorenzo Montegiorgi (NU) def. Melvin Joseph (WS-M) 6-1, 6-2
5. Michael FitzGerald (WS-M) def. Victor Kasak (NU) 7-6, 7-5
6. Konstantin Zhukov (NU) def. Jason Chen (WS-M) 6-4, 6-1
1. Florian Boggia/Jean Menard (NU) def. Aman Gill/Trey Keating (WS-M) 8-5
2. Michael FitzGerald/Melvin Joseph (WS-M) def. Lorenzo Montegiorgi/Marcus Oliveira (NU) 8-2
3. Jason Chen/Thomas Ducret (WS-M) def. Samual Walendowsky/Konstantin Zhukov (NU) 8-4