Men's Tennis Claims GLIAC Tournament Title With 5-2 Win Over Ferris State
The Northwood University men's tennis team earned a 5-2 win over Ferris State in the GLIAC Tournament Championship match Sunday morning (April 21).
Northwood, which also won its 19th straight GLIAC Championship, improves to 16-4 overall with the win. Ferris State stands at 15-5 with the loss.
The Timberwolves earned wins at No. 2 and No. 3 doubles to open the match. FSU claimed a win at the top position to send the match into singles with Northwood leading 2-1
All four matches that were completed in singles finished in straight sets. Northwood posted victories at the bottom three positions to earn the championship.
Northwood will now wait to hear where it will go for the upcoming NCAA Tournament.
1. Jean Menard (NU) vs. Laurent Galarneau (FS) unfinished
2. Sergiu Laza (FS) def. Marcus Oliveira (NU) 6-2, 6-3
3. Florian Boggia (NU) vs. Tyler Marengo (FS) unfinished
4. Lorenzo Montegiorgi (NU) def. Razvan Mag (FS) 6-4, 6-1
5. Victor Kasak (NU) def. Otto Keresztes (FS) 6-4, 7-6 (7-1)
6. Konstantin Zhukov (NU) def. Aaron Dial (FS) 6-4, 6-2
1. Laurent Galarneau/Razvan Mag (FS) def. Florian Boggia/Jean Menard (NU) 8-1
2. Lorenzo Montegiorgi/Marcus Oliveira (NU) def. Sergiu Laza/Tyler Marengo (FS) 8-4
3. Samual Walendowsky/Konstantin Zhukov (NU) def. Otto Keresztes/Aaron Dial (FS) 9-8 (10-8)