The 20th ranked Drury University men's tennis team advanced to the second round of the NCAA Tournament with a 5-0 win over Ohio Dominican Sunday afternoon (April 28).
Drury improves to 17-3 on the season with the win. Ohio Dominican, which was making its first trip to the NCAA Tournament in any sport, finishes the season 13-10 overall.
Third-seeded Drury came out strong in doubles, earning early breaks in all three matches. They eventually posted victories by the scores of 8-4, 8-3 and 8-3, respectively to take a 3-0 lead into singles.
Singles proved to be more competitive, as sixth-seeded Ohio Dominican won the first set in a pair of matches. But Drury's Roman Gonda made the score 4-0 with a 6-1, 6-3 victory at No. 2 singles. DU's Lukas Kriem then finished things off with a 6-0, 6-4 win in the third slot to complete the sweep.
Drury will now face No. 2 seed and host Northwood (16-4) in the second round Monday afternoon (April 29). First serve is set for 11:30 a.m. at the Gerstacker Courts. The winner will advance to the Round of 16 in Surprise, Arizona May 8-10.
1. #32 Blair, Andy (DU) vs. Tito Bonadonna (OD) 6-4, 4-1, unfinished
2. Gonda, Roman (DU) def. Tyler Johnston (OD) 6-1, 6-3
3. Kriem, Lukas (DU) def. Jeremy Mokry (OD) 6-0, 6-4
4. Manzanas, Sergio (DU) vs. Justin Tjon (OD) 2-6, 5-3, unfinished
5. Nadal, Jorge (DU) vs. Gerardo Perez (OD) 3-6, 3-4, unfinished
6. Lebedyev, Dmitri (DU) vs. Patrick Ohanian (OD) 6-2, 2-5, unfinished
1. #19 Gonda, Roman/Kriem, Lukas (DU) def. Gerardo Perez/Justin Tjon (OD) 8-4
2. Blair, Andy/Manzanas, Sergio (DU) def. Tyler Johnston/Patrick Ohanian (OD) 8-3
3. Nadal, Jorge/Lebedyev, Dmitri (DU) def. Jeremy Mokry/Tito Bonadonna (OD) 8-3