The Northwood University men's tennis team saw its 2013 season come to an end with a 5-0 loss to No. 1 ranked Barry Wednesday afternoon (May 8).
Northwood concludes the season 17-5 overall. Barry improves to 26-0 overall.
Barry earned the first point of the day with an 8-2 win at No. 3 doubles. The top two matches were close early before the Buccaneers used late runs to earn a sweep. The No. 1 match was tied 4-4 before BU earned the final four games to win 8-4. Then the No. 2 contest was tied 7-7 when the Buccaneers won the final two games to take a 3-0 lead into singles.
The bottom of the Barry lineup proved to be the difference in the match. The Buccaneers won straight-set matches at five and then six singles to clinch the overall victory.
Northwood's Jean Menard was nearing a victory at No. 1 singles over the 23rd ranked player in the country, Fabian Groestch. Menard was up 7-5, 3-0 when the match was suspended.
#1 Barry 5, #32 Northwood 0
May 08, 2013 at Surprise, Ariz. (Surprise Tennis & Racquet Complex)
1. #23 Fabian Groetsch (BUM) vs. Jean Menard (NU) 5-7, 0-3, unfinished
2. Romain Costamagna (BUM) vs. Marcus Oliveira (NU) 6-2, 3-2, unfinished
3. Leo Vivas (BUM) vs. Florian Boggia (NU) 6-2, 2-3, unfinished
4. Ollie Lemaitre (BUM) vs. Lorenzo Montegiorgi (NU) 6-1, 2-3, unfinished
5. Renato Lombardi (BUM) def. Victor Kasak (NU) 6-0, 6-1
6. Kevin Sielmann (BUM) def. Konstantin Zhukov (NU) 6-1, 6-2
1. #2 Fabian Groetsch/Marco Mokrzycki (BUM) def. Florian Boggia/Jean Menard (NU) 8-4
2. #19 Ollie Lemaitre/Max Wimmer (BUM) def. Lorenzo Montegiorgi/Marcus Oliveira (NU) 9-7
3. Romain Costamagna/Leo Vivas (BUM) def. Samual Walendowsky/Konstantin Zhukov (NU) 8-2
Northwood 17-5; National ranking #32
Barry 26-0; National ranking #1
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (5,6)
2013 NCAA Division II Men's Tennis Round of 16